Shower drain PVC pipe coating?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This is the second home I've seen this. Removing the shower drain cover to clean soap scum and hair, there seems to be a very thin rubber type coating from the drain cover to maybe four to six inches into the pipe. It appears to mask the white pipe so the drain looks black and therefore you cannot see the dirty white pipe. What is this stuff and its use? Can it be bought to re-coat the drain?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I talked to a plumber this week and never heard of it and I'm starting to realize that it just slime and mold. A few years ago I remodeled the bathroom and I did clean the drain quite well. What happens is as soap and body oils go down the drain, it starts to coat the top part of the drain flange and pipe. Over time this scum starts to mold up and lines the pipe. It is so even that you swear it was sprayed on. I saw the same thing at my sons house and the house was maybe a year old at the time. He stopped using it because it looked like it was a seal coating and there could be a leak. If anyone that has a walk in shower you should pull the drain cover anyway to clean it out because a lot of hair does build up and it is a source of odors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks