(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Industrial wall fan misting on covered porch - not UL507 rated plugged into GFI

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    It is a misting FAN. The mist is introduced into the air stream as it leaves the fan. It is for a localized area, and has NOTHING to do with a roof top cooling or evaporation system. When he said "OVER the enclosed porch area" he meant INTO, INSIDE, or through, (take your pick), the area.
    I see and understand this now but when I first read the post I took the “over” to mean “above” or on top of the roof.

Even using the set up as was later defined the water droplets of the mist are very important in the effect being sought.
    We wouldn’t want the fan spraying water everywhere.

As long as the water mist is in front of the blades there would be no problem. Any receptacle installed outside, and a covered porch is outside, would need to be GFCI protected. This protection would not have any effect on the fan motor.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

You can put a mister in FRONT of any air mover [outlet] and not have an issue.

Now pardon me boys, but lets have a look at a SWAMP COOLER. The electric motor sits in the middle of a rainshower onto cardboard, and is in fact INSIDE the water stream. These are open, cheap, split phase motors.

And I never saw one on a GFCI! Never saw anyone die with one either.

And they have a cheap plastic chinese submersible pump sitting in a little pool too!

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Ballvalve

The motors used in “Swamp Coolers” are designed for the environment in which they are being used.

Although you have never seen anyone hurt or killed by one of these set ups let me assure you that people have been hurt by them especially when they try to replace the motor with one not approved for the environment.

The piece of equipment does not mandate the use of GFCI but any receptacle installed outside a dwelling unit including one for a “swamp cooler” will require GFCI protection under today’s codes.

These cheapest of cheap motors are open frame and water mists thru them all day long. The only differences is more corrosion protection and better plated switch gear or varnish on the wires. -So they say.

For a family machine with all its electrics bathed in water all year long, often accessible to be touched, it seems amazing GFCI's are not required.

quote; The electric motor sits in the middle of a rainshower onto cardboard, and is in fact INSIDE the water stream.

Have you EVER even seen a swamp cooler? The motor does NOT sit in the middle of a rainshower, the water is being delivered to troughs around the perimeter and the water drains from those troughs through holes onto the evaporative pads, with air being pulled through them by the blower wheel. The motor NEVER gets wet when everything is working properly.

Nothing works properly in a cooler after 3-5 years, but if i could fit inside, i would give you a report.