Possible to convert Toto Eco Ultramax to dual flush toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

sheller

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have a Toto Eco Ultamax toilet (1.28g/flush), but am wondering if it is possible to convert it to a dual-flush toilet (using .9 gallons/1.28gallons) using a dual-flush converter kit?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not aware of any dual flush replacements that replace a 3" flush valve.

A dual flush is a Watersense rated bowl
And the Toto Eco Drake and Ultramax are Watersense rated bowls.
There isn't really a savings by making it a dual flush, and the half flush may not work with the larger water surface of the bowl.

The Aquia dual flush has very little water in the bowl. That's is how that one works with a half flush.
Some of the dual flush kits on the market don't clear the bowl.
In fact I saw someone put a 1.5 gallon tank on an old 5.0 bowl one time, and all it did was stir the water.

Right now you have a Watersense 1.28 gpf toilet that works every time. A dual flush is normally 0.9 and 1.6 gallons. When you average that out, you are pretty close to 1.28 gallons.

Last edited:

thetwins

Reaction score
How about a Toto Drake?

Sorry to piggyback onto this thread, but I have a Toto Drake, and due to Greenpoint requirements, need to convert it to either a 1.28 gpf or a dual flush toilet. I read about how the dual flush converter is made for 2" flush valves, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to rig a 3" valve to it, and use that instead? Without this, I can't pass Greenpoint, and can't get CO for the house. I REALLY don't want to replace the toilet, either, since it's brand new. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Hail Mary passes?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
ANy modification done to the operational design of a toilet is at your own risk. There is no way of knowing if anything will even fit, and more importantly if it will flush. All those parts of the toilet ..tank, bowl, mechanism...were designed to work togther.
More importantly, CHANGING the design changes the specs, so who will certify to your greenpoint thing that your modified toilet is actually what you THINK you made it into???

thetwins

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Well, my Greenpoint rater actually cleared it with Greenpoint. if I can convert it into dual flush or 1.28gpf, then I'm ok. I just want to do it as economically as possible, given that I just bought these two toilets, and am past the return date. Plus my plumber already installed them. I also emailed Toto, to see if they have any suggestions.

From what I've seen, other people are also interested in "Eco-izing" their Toto's, if for nothing else than the water savings.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This thread sort of reminds me of the early days of low flow toilets when the big name manufacturers tried to modify their old technology to make the old water hogs low flow. Didn't work. Now, I am not calling your Toto Drake a water hog by any means, but as others have pointed out, modifying the toilet will be chancy at best. I admit I don't know what a Greenpoint is, I assume it's another California plan to save the world, but most likely you're stuck with it.

thetwins

Reaction score
I'm totally with you there! Not saying that Greenpoint is dumb, but seriously...this conversion business is starting to drive me nuts, along with some of the other Greenpoint stuff. If the weather weren't so good, and the husband's job weren't here, I'd be looking at other states.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Eco Ultramax and Drake are Watersense toilets already.

If you have a 1.6 gallon Drake, then you can either change the ST743S tank for a ST743E tank, and that drops it to 1.28

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, depending on when it was made, the 1.28 bowl will work with either the 1.6g or 1.28g tank. This may not be true if it is an older bowl.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like Terry gave you the answer you were looking for. Just change tanks. That will cost less than an entirely new toilet.

thetwins

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Very helpful info. I also heard back from Toto. They did say that changing the flush valve and fill valve would essentially turn the Drake into an Eco Drake. They didn't mention the conversion to a dual flush. If Greenpoint is ok with that, I may try that. Other option would be an aftermarket dual flush converter, but the one that fits would entail taking the tank off the bowl, which I'd like to avoid. If all else fails, I'll be off to buy a new tank! Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any good dual flush toilet needs to totally evacuate the bowl so, generally, the water spot tends to be smaller. I'd be leary of any conversion to dual-flush as you may just end up diluting, rather than evacuating the contents in the bowl.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do not try after market gismos on your Toto! Toto has designed their toilets to work as they are sold. If you feel you just have to have a dual flush, change the tank and do it right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks