Is there such a thing as too much water column weight or diameter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gritres

Reaction score
This question pertains to centrifugal pumps w/ a shallow well. When trying to get as much GPM as possible it's common to connect multiple wells to a single pump to limit the effects of drawdown and get more effective surface area from more well points. This effectively increases the water column size and weight that is being suspended by the check valve (assuming single check valve at top near pump, dont wish to discuss foot valves.). Assuming the check valve is beefy enough to handle all that, does this increase of suspended water volume cause extra strain on the pump or is it one of those cases where bigger diameter always equals less resistance?

I'm trying to decide between sinking three 5 foot 1.25" diameter points or or two 5 foot 2". Both solutions have similar screen surface area but two 2" pipes will hold a lot more water volume and if that is a detriment to the pump then the smaller pipes would be ideal. The pump has a 2 inch inlet.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No, it's all the same. The pressure on a diver does not vary by the size of the ocean. It is all in pounds per square inch.

Gritres

Reaction score
thanks. i had a feeling that was the case but for some reason it's difficult to visualize. i guess if you had a shallow 4 inch well that was screened and capped at the bottom you could use an adapter and convert it to a 2 inch pipe and use it as a direct inlet. not that anybody has such a well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks