Replacing door latch mechanism on sliding door

Users who are viewing this thread

julesy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to replace the lock on this sliding door. However, I cannot see anyway to get the existing lock out. I have had the door off its tracks and looked at the top and bottom, but am stumped as to how to remove and replace this lock.

Is it possible that some doors are designed not to have the lock replaced? I find that hard to believe. What could I be missing?

Thanks

IMG_8725small.jpgIMG_8722small.jpg

julesy

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I removed the handles as shown in one of the pics. After seeing no other way to do this, I looked at opening up the door frame, but it seems to have plastic "welded" type joints and I could see no way to get the lock out. I'm stumped.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A manufacturer would need to have extreme, and misplaced, confidence in the longevity of his latch to make one which could not be replaced. Unfortunately, without seeing it we may not be able to help you, since each manufacturer would have his own method of installing the latch.

Agu

Reaction score
I see two screws on the end of the door that haven't been removed . I also see grooves above the top screw and below the bottom screw. Seems to me you could remove both screws and the lock mechanism will pull forward and out of the door.

Might just be that simple .....

julesy

Reaction score
Thanks. I figure out how to do it in the end. It was as Agu suggested, you simply remove the two screws on the end of the door and the lock can squeeze out. As the lock is longer than the hole, I had just assumed, there must be a different way to get it out. Thanks all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks