shower base with 1 1/2" drain or 2"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Carpenter

Reaction score
Here's my problem. Customer bought shower base (Mustee) with 1 1/2" drain. My plumber told me Massachusetts code is 2". The base was bought at Home Crapo (never again) by my customer. I then called Mustee and was told there might be a waiver # for Massachusetts but he's not sure. Never heard back from him. I then went to the (assistant) plumbing inspector and told him about it. He told me to talk to the lead inspector in the morning and that maybe he will come out and look at it and possible approve it. I went through alot on this because the building is on a slab and I cut open the concrete to replace the 1 1/2" galvanized pipe with 2". It's about a 4' section of pipe. It went well because the flange had a 2" bushing that reduced to 1 1/2" but i am going to be ripping if i cut the floor to only get approved by the inspector with only 1 1/2" piping. I just don't understand why they would make me change to 2" but yet allow a 1 1/2" drain. I do have a 2" shower base available. Anyone have any thought's or opinions on this I would appreciate any input. Thank's

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to my mind is to I see about returning the unit and exchanging it for one that has a 2" drain opening. HD is usually very good about exchanges, and in this case at least, they sold something that does not conform to code. That would be a pretty strong argument if push came to shove. If that doesn't work, then I wonder if it would be possible to enlarge to hole to 2". In the real world, an 1-1/2" drain will probably drain the shower quite nicely, but one should stay within code.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
take it back to home --do do

jsut like GARY said...

its only about a $125 base if that....

Simply Blame the inspector if you must............

then tell the cheap ass customer it wont work

and the inspector WONT LET YOU USE IT

Tell the tight wad to tangle with the inspector

ON HIS TIME if he still wants to use it,,,

Also, claim your plumber will charge him extra for his
pain and suffering if this base becomes a major problem...

that is within your rights to do too
if that $100 base kills the plumbers day.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
base

Lasco does a lot of weird things, such as make the floor of the base an inch higher than the apron so that it can never be set directly on the floor. I guess, given that, that their engineers might also decide to make a base with a 1 1/2" drain that might not be legal in any jurisdiction. I would not install it and would insist that the customer return it. YOU are the one he will be complaining to, and about, when it does not drain properly.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about running the line and trap 2" then bushing it to 1" 1/2" from the trap up ? Then you are allowed at least 8' on your run for a vent. Also ,this is VERY often how tub waste & overflows are done in a slab .

Just a thought ,,,instead of getting inspector & homeowner all riled (sp?) up.

Cal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks