Yellow Water after Regen Cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

gusgt18

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having some issue with my water softener. Occasionally after the regeneration cycle the water coming out of the softener is yellow. After running the water for a while it will clear up. Any ideas on what could be causing this? and why does it only happen occasionally?

I think the softener is about 7 years old. It is a fleck 2510 48K grain model. Our water is 19gr hardness with 1.6 ppm iron. I can look up more details on the softener if needed.

Thanks,

Gus

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are the times with in the cleaning cycle?
Sounds like some of the times need to be increased.

gusgt18

Reaction score
Times are as follows

Backwash: 16 minutes
Brine & Slow Rinse: 60 minutes
Rapid Rinse: 8 minutes
Brine Tank Refill: 12 Minutes

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Times are about right, could take and add one or two pins to the backwash.
Rapid rinse could go to 10 or 12 minutes with one or two more pins.
What is the meter set for in gallons?
There should be a white dot lined up with a number between 0-21 each number is X100
How many people are in the home?
if there are 2 right now that is 1500 gallons or about every 14 days and that most likely is a bit much for the 2ppm of iron that is in the water.

gusgt18

Reaction score
I can add more pins to the backwash and rapid rinse and see how it goes.

When it finishes its cycle the meter reads 13. Two people in the home.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Change the meter to 1000 gallons or 10 and cut down on the salt to 3 spaces.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Change the meter to 1000 gallons or 10 and cut down on the salt to 3 spaces.
Are you sure you want to reduce the fill time that much? Seems to me the dose would be too little. Also, he may want to verify the fill rate. Could be a 1/4 gpm brine flow control.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most 2510 come with the .5gpm on the brine refill while the 5600 is a 50/50 on the .25 or the .50 on the brine refill.
Either way the gallons are a bit high for just 2 people and the 2ppm of iron... 14 days between regens?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I can add more pins to the backwash and rapid rinse and see how it goes.

When it finishes its cycle the meter reads 13. Two people in the home.

Adjust the refill time to = 23 lbs of salt and mix 1/3 cup of Iron Out or Super IO in two gallons of warm water, pour that into the water in the salt tank and then do a manual regeneration. Then repeat that with no water use during or between the 2 manual regenerations. Then change the refill time back to what you need for a meter setting of 1000 gals based on the correct K of capacity and lbs of salt required to produce it (see below).

That regenerates all of the resin and cleans any iron off the resin beads. As to your sometimes you get yellow water after a regeneration problem. Make sure you, an RO or toilet flush etc. aren't using water during regeneration. And add a 1/4 cup of IO to a gallon of water once a month and do the manual regeneration on your way to bed and you shouldn't have iron build up anymore.

Program your K of capacity and salt dose with the instructions at the link in my signature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks