This gas line can't be up to code... right?

Users who are viewing this thread

rentalrestoration

Reaction score
water-heater.jpg

Obviously, it needs straps, but I just can't imagine that having this gas line running in front of the tank to the furnace is a) a good idea and b) code.

Then again, I am a mere GC and not a plumber!

Thanks in advance for advising me.

Eleanor

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't tell you about code, but from a practical standpoint, I sure isn't what I'd do. When the water heater needs replacing, you will have to disconnect the furnace pipe. I can't see in the picture where the line come from, but I'd go up, across, and down to the furnace. This probably could be done with ready cut and threaded pieces of pipe plus a few fittings. On a different topic, what is the hose connected to the water heater drain valve for? Many of us remove the original valve and replace it with a ball valve. Works better than the el cheapos they put on at the factory. I would not leave a hose running across the floor unless I was draining the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Code doesn't care about location.

It does need earthquake strapping on the tank.

It's a bit tricky replacing a heater when the pipes are like that, but we see that sometimes.
It can take a bit more time.

rentalrestoration

Reaction score
Yep, our plumber was draining the tank to change it out. And yeah, if there was ever a tank that needs straps this is it!

I thought it was poor design at the very least and I guess I'm used to seeing flex lines...

Thanks, all! This forum is so helpful!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't have obstructions in front of the tank. The tank needs to be able to be replaced without having to remove all of that pipe. However, not a lot of inspectors are going to make a fuss over it either.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is nothing against code about it, and it is done whenever the gas line is NOT located in the space between the two devices, but, WHY does it need seismic strapping? Are you in an earthquake zone? A more common method, however, would have been to install the valve on the pipe at the tee and extend a 36" flexible line across the front of the heater to the furnace gas inlet.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't have obstructions in front of the tank. The tank needs to be able to be replaced without having to remove all of that pipe. However, not a lot of inspectors are going to make a fuss over it either.
The tank is quickly removable by virtue of the two flex connectors. I actually have a similar connection on my WH. The gas valve is on the rights side wall at top of tank height. A flex connects over to the Watts 210 valve which replaces the TP on top, then hard pipe goes to the left, down to a drip leg, and another flex to the gas valve.
I think WA state does have seismic regulations.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, I see that now. should have looked at the pic a little closer but now I'm wondering why they bothered with that 3' piece of black iron

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is...

Sure it's not the most ideal or practical, but you don't replace the hot water heater every six months do you?

It was put together with wrenches and can be taken apart with wrenches too.
It might take 10 more minutes to disconnect the flex to the furnace and twist that whole chunk w/ the tee, but it's still not a big deal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;but now I'm wondering why they bothered with that 3' piece of black iron

Probably to get within range of the short gas flex they had for the furnace.

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
All the code says about installation in michigan;The heater.shall be installed in a workman shape manner.That covers a lot of manners in that sentence. Longs its code. as far as distance and fixtures qualifications your all set. an you like it the devil with everybody else!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks