New Solenoid Always On

Users who are viewing this thread

Pat Mc

Reaction score
I just replaced a solenoid in a Rain Bird DVF 100 due to a short in the old one, screwed it all the way tight. When I turned on the master shut off valve 'on', that station turned on. The new solenoid seems to thread in fine, but does spurt a leak when screwed all the way down. I tried reinstalling the old solenoid, and with it installed I still have full manual control (no flow @ screwed down all the way). I even installed a second new solenoid, same problem, I have no manual control, and the controller box doesn't do anything. I also tried messing w/ the bleed screw, to no avail. One thought that I have is that maybe I have the wrong solenoid? I just bought this house and chose this part based solely on the pictures on Rain Birds website, there are no model numbers on the solenoids. My pipe looks to definitely be 1", and they are definitely DV series.

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
right solenoid

The only solenoids that work are rain bird solenoids and not the so called universal ones. Iam attaching an image of the proper one for your valve. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 529

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
My next suggestion woul be to make sure the bieed screw is closed, open the flow control knob about three-quarters and try to reseat the solenoid. Sometimes this can take a couple of tries to get it to seal. I just had an old buckner valve that leaked around the solenoid and it took four tries to reseat it.

Pat Mc

Reaction score
Thanks Mike

I found the problem, a crack in the 'bonnet' on top of the valve. Now my master shut off is leaking. It never ends......

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
I will guess that your main shut off is a gate valve and is leaking around the shaft. One trick I learned for this is to unscrew the retaining nut around the shaft the wrap some Teflon tape around the shaft and tighten the nut back down. This will usually seal the leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks