Delta Universal Shower/Tub Valve Body Rough-in : Capped tub nipple question

Users who are viewing this thread

gr88

Reaction score
I have new construction (I am the HO/GC). The building is a summer camp and heat will be off during much of the winter. The plumbing is done and all nicely pitched to drain valves in a few locations. I recently discovered one little place that water will not drain.

I have capped off the bottom nipple (the one that would connect to the tub, if I had a tub), and water will not drain from there when I drain the system.

Is is ok for water to freeze in there? Is the volume small enough and the fixture strong enough to not crack the fixture?

Shower tile is on and the backside of wall is finished too. I can conceivably get in through the backside (perhaps to replace with a 3-nipple version? Does such a thing exist?), though not without some expense.

Here's a picture of the unit I'm talking about:

Attachments

• delta universal.jpg
    delta universal.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 946

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I have put a tub spout in a stand up shower as a foot wash,but yes that little bit of freezing can damage the faucet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is is ok for water to freeze in there? Is the volume small enough and the fixture strong enough to not crack the fixture?

Winterization is a pretty imprecise science...
It all comes down to luck...

Initial installs often take several years of testing and redesign on problem areas to achieve perfection...

And then after that there is always that year some fluke happens and you need a repair...

Any water left behind can freeze and cause damage... Maybe....

Well do you feel lucky?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think I'd just put a spout on it, as noted, it will let you get the water just the right temp before you switch to the showerhead, and, it will drain the water in the shower riser so you don't get that cold spurt when you next turn it on during normal operations from the water trapped there.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
To be sure I would remove the cartridge after draining.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water has to be trapped so it cannot freely expand in order to "break" things. That little bit of water is free to expand into the faucet body, and the shower riser prevents any pressure build up. I would not worry about it, IF you make sure all the other water is drained from the riser and valve body..

That "Dirty Harry" line saved the .44 Magnum from extinction, because they had already decided to drop it. But then EVERYONE wanted the "most poweful handgun" and sales went over the top.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As long as you can get enough out of the valve and riser... Hence the do you feel lucky...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks