water backup in sewage line

Users who are viewing this thread

mongoose

Reaction score
i have sewage water backing up and coming out of the bottom of the floor on the downstairs toilet as this is the lowest point in the house... right outside the house 5 feet from this toilet a pvc wye with a cap it... when i unscrew the cap, water comes out as its about as high as the floor... is this more than likely a clogged main in my front yard(i have a tree) or could it be something more serious...its 3am now and just finished cleaning up the water from my last load of laundry and the pipe in the yard is full...is auger the way to go here...

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, more than likely its roots from the tree. Auger then I always recomend having a camera inspection done after to see where and what the problem was.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep the line needs to be cleaned...

As for what the problem is you never really can tell until the snake is in the pipe.
Then it's an educated guess based on the drain cleaner's experience and skills.

The camera inspection is a good way to know for sure...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Auger it, but do NOT waste hundreds of dollars on a camera inspection, unless the plumber has a problem unplugging the line, OR it happens again within a few months. I MAY have videoed a dozen sewers in my lifetime, but ALL of them had serious problems and I had to know what or where it was.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As technology has gotten cheaper and more abundant there are many companies that now camera almost every main line they clean.

Of course they are hoping they see something and can sell a repair....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One thing to avoid is trying to clear this with chemicals. Not only will they not clear the clog, they can create a hazard for the plumber you eventually will have to call to auger the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks