new jet pump stays at 30 won't shut off or go up or down

Users who are viewing this thread

Molly

Reaction score
Help! We had no water for 3 days. The plumber said the pump was shot. We replaced the pump. We now have orange water, no pressure in any faucet and the pump stays at 30. It will not rise or fall, it does not shut off unless we hit the breaker. Can it be possible that my well is low? My husband is going to school to be an electrician and at this point maybe should have considered taking plumbing. We certainly have a great respect for plumbers.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You'd do better with a pump guy or well driller, most plumbers don't know wells, water quality issues or pumps. What was wrong with the pump that you had no water? That could have something to do with the present problem.

What type of pump do you have; jet (above ground) or submersible (in the well)? I suspect a jet pump, so there's the possibility that something is blocking the jet/eductor, or the inlet to the foot valve. You could have less water in the well and the pump can't lift it from that depth. If a submersible pump, there could be a leak in the plumbing from the pump to the pressure tank.

I don't understand your comment that you have 30 psi but no water. That's really not possible unless you have a valve closed or broken closed, past the pressure tank. Remove and clean the faucet tip aerators at your sinks.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Molly

Reaction score
concerning Gary Slusser's reply

Dear Mr Slusser, We do have water, but absolutly no pressure with the cold. And it is orange, which could mean low well right? When I disected the old pump it was filthy inside and out with rust and grit. We have hard water here. We replaced the pump in hopes to solve the water flow problem. In the beginning I ha d no pressure, then no water that's when I called someone and they told me I should try a new pump. When we first primed the pump, it went to 40 then down to 30 and wouldn't shut off. It is a meyers jet pump, deep well type. I called the guy who came a plumber, but he is actually a well driller. He also said there could be a problem with the foot valve nozzle, but to try the pump first because the old pump was at 0 and doing absolutely nothing when he turned it on. The odd thing about this also is it never really loses it's prime. Thankyou so much for your time

Molly

Reaction score
I forgot to say I keep turning the pump off when I am not using water, but it still reads 30 when it is on or off. Can all of this be because of a bad water tank. I have a bladder type it has about 15lbs of pressure in it. It is filling now with the new pump, it would not fill with the old pump.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Dear Mzzz Molly, correct terminology and more than less detail is always best.

No, orange is iron/rust and it doesn't mean low water in the well. To me it says maybe there is enough air/oxygen in the water to cause the ferrous iron to convert to ferric iron which causes the color; orange is actually rust. That could mean the pump is sucking some air. You can have an air/suction leak without it leaking water. There could also be something going on in the well now that wasn't before the orange water showed up, like the water level causing air suction.

I'm with the driller, and I see Ron/Pumpman answered a question for you about this the other day here mentioning a possible problem inside the pump, as I have this morning. I think you should take a look at your manual and the parts breakdown pictures, if not the troubleshooting section! and figure out how to check for a blocked jet/eductor or broken impeller. Then if nothing is found, you need to check the static water level in the well, then pull the drop pipe and check out the foot valve's inlet and the check valve in it; the spring could be broken and not allowing full flow, or something is sucked up against the inlet screening.

You did check to see that the pump motor is set/jumped for the same voltage you are supplying it with right?

You did replace the old pump with the same gpm AND hp pump right?

BTW, for decades millions of people used well water systems set to operate at 20/40 psi; that's an average of 30 psi. You will have that pressure at the outlet of the pressure tank, but if not to the fixtures, then check for a closed valve past the pressure tank. Check for blocked aerators and shower heads too; recall the dirt you found in the old pump, well there probably was dirt in the plumbing too and was broken loose when replacing the pump. Now it's anywhere it can move to; including into the fixtures and the new pump.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Speedbump

Reaction score
From what I gather, you replaced the pump yourself. I would say you have had a plugged jet all along.

I would also think your gauge is stuck on 30. Maybe you should have changed the gauge first.

bob...

Molly

Reaction score
I have cleaned all of the faucet tips and showerheads. We replaced the old pump with the same kind. We are supplying the right voltage and this pump has the same gpm and hp. I thank you both for your suggestion to check the foot valve inlet and the valve in it. The pressure gauge on the pump is brand new also. I have checked for closed valves past the pressure tank and have found none. After hooking up the new pump the pressure was fine at all faucets, but the pump wouldn't stop running. We turned off the pump at the breaker, then the pump kicked back on and we had no pressure.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's why I think you have a plugged jet. A pump will not get much past 27 lbs with a plugged jet.

Changing a pump is enough to knock little piece/s of scale off big enough to plug the nozzle in the jet and act just like you have described. All the crud you said was in the old pump is also in the well, droppipe, suction and backpressure line.

What brand of pump do you have now?

bob...

Molly

Reaction score
Bob,
I have a Meyers pump now. There is also new developements in this drama. Last night my husband turned on the kitchen sink, and a pipe burst all over the place. My pump then went up to 40 and shut off. I also have pressure in all of the faucets. We guess there was a blockage in a pipe under the sink which explains the extreme low pressure there. The water is not quite as rusty and we are still getting the occasional chunk of debris. This weekend we are pulling the foot valve up to check the nozzle and to check the spring and screens. I am so used to having my pump kicking on and running so much, I am now wondering if this pump is running properly. When I turn on the faucet the pump comes on then shuts off after about 30 seconds. The water pressure in the sink is good. Is this the way it should be? Should the pump reach 40 lbs so fast?

Speedbump

Reaction score
It is possible for a plugged jet to become unplugged, but not probable.

I don't know what size your tank is, but it should be large enough to keep the pump from cycling a lot.

If you are going to pull the jet, you should have new pipe, jet and casing ready to reinstall. Putting the old stuff back in is just asking for a plugged jet.

If this is a two pipe jet you may not have too much trouble pulling it. If it's a single pipe jet, this is something better left for a professional with a good pump hoist with a walking beam.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks