Bathroom Diverter nightmare....

Users who are viewing this thread

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
From what I read online this was supposed to be a very simple straight forward fix. Boy was I wrong.

First off the issue I was having was the water when the diverter was positioned would still come out of the tub faucet. So I took it apart thinking I could just replace the diverter valve assembly. I went through 4 different diverter types returning each to the store because I could not find one that matched my specific assembly when I took it out of the wall (I would put it back in but it was so old that taking it out caused me to bend it and really destroy it...)

The old assembly is a smaller assembly with a small seat while the newest one that I purchased was bought because the thread placement matches closest to the old one.

See photos below to compare the two.

Right now i cannot get the seat in for the new valve assembly and if i install it without a seat or the seat from the old one it still leaks from both the shower head and tub faucet. any suggestions? I have been working on this for two days now so I am open to anyone who can suggest anything to fix my problems or maybe an exact match in helping to identify the manufacture of this specific diverter assembly.. IMG_6247.JPGIMG_6249.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You have a Central Brass faucet. There are two different models, you have the wrong one. Go to a plumbing supply house with the old stem to get a match. Also don't use tape on the stem, the gasket seals it from leaking at the stem. The seat is also the wrong size.

John

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
You have a Central Brass faucet. There are two different models, you have the wrong one. Go to a plumbing supply house with the old stem to get a match. Also don't use tape on the stem, the gasket seals it from leaking at the stem. The seat is also the wrong size.

John

I noticed the seat was the wrong size when I got the old one out and couldn't install the new one, the new one is slightly larger then the old one, both ACE hardware and Home Depot do not have an exact match for the entire assembly I need... the diverter assembly + seat it seems like the assembly that was originally installed is smaller then whats sold at stores...

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Could be central as well...

Clean all the teflon off so we can see it and get a side view of the handle as well...

Look at the link I posted above!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That is central brass and I will give you another link they are good and will ship.
www.noel`s plumbing.com [URL]http://www.noelsplumbingsupply.com/home.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep central...
I didn't see that you had posted a second pic

Central, Gerber, Sterling, and Price Pfister all make ones with the 4 blade handle like that... side view they look very different...
Central gerber and sterling are close in the stem appearance....

Moen's work good too!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
None of the stems at Alfono's site have the tall, "wasp waisted" bonnet like the example, and without a stem having a matching bonnet, I would not try to identify it unless I had it in hand so I could compare spline count, length, total bonnet length, and thread pitch. Without EVERYTHING matching the stem will not work. Harcraft also used handles like that.

Last edited:

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I am glad to finally get some much needed advice. I looked through the link Redwood provided for Alfano Plumbing and in their catalog found two diverter assemblies which look very close to what I have.... I am not sure which one could be the winner but i want to make sure its an exact match specially if i order from online... Here is another picture of the whole diverter assembly taken apart and the two from the alfano site catalog.IMG_6256.jpgcen5003.jpgger5003.png

the central brass is on the left and the gerber is on the right.... i know my original photo is kind of crappy but which one do you think it is? also if i order from alfanco do they come with the seats?

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
If worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a remodel plate and install a single handle.

attachment.php

I cannot disturb the tiling in my bathroom to get at the pipes behind the wall, is there an alternative type of setup I could go with to completely reinstall all three valves/seats and use the existing shower head without having to rip apart the wall?

The diverter handle is the only thing im having problems with but if i can get the whole thing replaced and am better off since I can't find an exact match to the diverter assembly then id go that route... Only problem is there is only a 1 inch gap of space between the 3 valves (Hot/Diveter/Cold) and the tub faucet directly below them....

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
The center diverter handle fell off and was replaced with some handle that fit right onto the stem of the existing assembly.. but if it might help in identification of the proper diverter assembly manufacture here is a top and sideIMG_6258.jpgIMG_6260.JPG photo of the original valves.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIth the right tools, you can replace the valves with a new, up to code, antiscald system. You'd probably need a diamond cutoff wheel on a grinder or maybe a diamond bit on a rotary cutter (like maybe a RotoZip), depending on how hard the tile is, but is is doable. Those handles and trim are pretty pitted, so maybe it's time...

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
WIth the right tools, you can replace the valves with a new, up to code, antiscald system. You'd probably need a diamond cutoff wheel on a grinder or maybe a diamond bit on a rotary cutter (like maybe a RotoZip), depending on how hard the tile is, but is is doable. Those handles and trim are pretty pitted, so maybe it's time...

The other valves for hot and cold where already replaced only the shower diverter assembly was left intact (I am starting to see why with how old the assembly is said to be by some...) the other assemblies are in good condition only the outside valve handles and medal cosmetics are in need of replacement...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The guts may be new, but did you replace the handles? Also, as mentioned, all new valves add some protection with anti-scald technology. This may or may not be an issue, but it will certainly make it easier to sell the house when the time comes, and if there are any elderly or really young users of that shower/tub, then they are more susceptable to getting hurt if there's a momentary surge of hot or cold water...the new valves protect against those major temperature changes.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I am glad to finally get some much needed advice. I looked through the link Redwood provided for Alfano Plumbing and in their catalog found two diverter assemblies which look very close to what I have.... I am not sure which one could be the winner but i want to make sure its an exact match specially if i order from online... Here is another picture of the whole diverter assembly taken apart and the two from the alfano site catalog.View attachment 13201View attachment 13202View attachment 13203

the central brass is on the left and the gerber is on the right.... i know my original photo is kind of crappy but which one do you think it is? also if i order from alfanco do they come with the seats?

Close but no Cigar...

Call 800-228-4718 and ask them how you can send the pic to them or, if they can look at it here....

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
Close but no Cigar...

Call 800-228-4718 and ask them how you can send the pic to them or, if they can look at it here....

I will try that on monday, as they're not open on the weekend, i am going to go to two plumber warehouses locally tomorrow to see if they can match the exact diverter - I will update the thread. Thank you everyone for the help!

helpmeplzSD

Reaction score
I fixed it!!!! I went to a local Plumber supply warehouse and they told me they did not carry the part but they gave me a card of another plumber supply store which upon going to, within seconds of walking through the door and showing the gentleman the part he identified it right away and said they had the whole assembly seat handles and all the stuff so he asked if i needed the whole thing or just the diverter... he gave me the parts which matched exactly, it did not have a label on it and I still have no idea what brand it was but I came home right away installed it and it works! no leaks! way to go Kirk Plumbing in El Cajon California! they have a huge variety of parts old and new, If you're in the area or stuck looking for an exact part im sure they can probably help... website = http://www.kirkplumbingsupply.com/ Thanks Everyone for the advice and help, it is very much appreciated!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Neither the Central or Gerber BONNETS look anywhere near the same as yours, and that is the thing that DEFINITELY has to match if it is going to fit the valve properly. The center stem is almost irrelevent as far as matching yours, because once you get the bonnet right, the stem just has to screw through it properly. Which it will if you get the whole assembly. Your handles look EXACTLY like Harcraft, although there are probably other similar ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks