(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Diverter nightmare....

Angry Bathroom Diverter nightmare....

From what I read online this was supposed to be a very simple straight forward fix. Boy was I wrong.

First off the issue I was having was the water when the diverter was positioned would still come out of the tub faucet. So I took it apart thinking I could just replace the diverter valve assembly. I went through 4 different diverter types returning each to the store because I could not find one that matched my specific assembly when I took it out of the wall (I would put it back in but it was so old that taking it out caused me to bend it and really destroy it...)

The old assembly is a smaller assembly with a small seat while the newest one that I purchased was bought because the thread placement matches closest to the old one.

See photos below to compare the two.

Right now i cannot get the seat in for the new valve assembly and if i install it without a seat or the seat from the old one it still leaks from both the shower head and tub faucet. any suggestions? I have been working on this for two days now so I am open to anyone who can suggest anything to fix my problems or maybe an exact match in helping to identify the manufacture of this specific diverter assembly..Name:  IMG_6247.JPG
Views: 839
Size:  68.9 KBName:  IMG_6249.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  32.5 KB

These parts are not interchangeable, you must have an exact match!

Hard to tell with all the teflon tape wrapped on it but I'll guess its a Gerber....

http://www.alfanoplumbingparts.com/diverter.html

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

You have a Central Brass faucet. There are two different models, you have the wrong one. Go to a plumbing supply house with the old stem to get a match. Also don't use tape on the stem, the gasket seals it from leaking at the stem. The seat is also the wrong size.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    These parts are not interchangeable, you must have an exact match!

Hard to tell with all the teflon tape wrapped on it but I'll guess its a Gerber....

http://www.alfanoplumbingparts.com/diverter.html
    Name:  IMG_6252.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  23.6 KB

I took the tape off and took another photo.... still think its a gerber? I looked at the catalog and did not see an exact match...

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    You have a Central Brass faucet. There are two different models, you have the wrong one. Go to a plumbing supply house with the old stem to get a match. Also don't use tape on the stem, the gasket seals it from leaking at the stem. The seat is also the wrong size.

John
    I noticed the seat was the wrong size when I got the old one out and couldn't install the new one, the new one is slightly larger then the old one, both ACE hardware and Home Depot do not have an exact match for the entire assembly I need... the diverter assembly + seat it seems like the assembly that was originally installed is smaller then whats sold at stores...
    Last edited by helpmeplzSD; 06-03-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Could be central as well...

Clean all the teflon off so we can see it and get a side view of the handle as well...

Look at the link I posted above!

That is central brass and I will give you another link they are good and will ship.
    [url]www.noel`s plumbing.com

http://www.noels*******************/home.aspx
    Last edited by Terry; 06-03-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a remodel plate and install a single handle.

Yep central...
    I didn't see that you had posted a second pic

Central, Gerber, Sterling, and Price Pfister all make ones with the 4 blade handle like that... side view they look very different...
    Central gerber and sterling are close in the stem appearance....

Moen's work good too!

None of the stems at Alfono's site have the tall, "wasp waisted" bonnet like the example, and without a stem having a matching bonnet, I would not try to identify it unless I had it in hand so I could compare spline count, length, total bonnet length, and thread pitch. Without EVERYTHING matching the stem will not work. Harcraft also used handles like that.
    Last edited by hj; 06-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I am glad to finally get some much needed advice. I looked through the link Redwood provided for Alfano Plumbing and in their catalog found two diverter assemblies which look very close to what I have.... I am not sure which one could be the winner but i want to make sure its an exact match specially if i order from online... Here is another picture of the whole diverter assembly taken apart and the two from the alfano site catalog.Name:  IMG_6256.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  28.1 KBName:  cen5003.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  37.5 KBName:  ger5003.png
Views: 485
Size:  82.0 KB

the central brass is on the left and the gerber is on the right.... i know my original photo is kind of crappy but which one do you think it is? also if i order from alfanco do they come with the seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    If worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a remodel plate and install a single handle.

I cannot disturb the tiling in my bathroom to get at the pipes behind the wall, is there an alternative type of setup I could go with to completely reinstall all three valves/seats and use the existing shower head without having to rip apart the wall?

The diverter handle is the only thing im having problems with but if i can get the whole thing replaced and am better off since I can't find an exact match to the diverter assembly then id go that route... Only problem is there is only a 1 inch gap of space between the 3 valves (Hot/Diveter/Cold) and the tub faucet directly below them....

The center diverter handle fell off and was replaced with some handle that fit right onto the stem of the existing assembly.. but if it might help in identification of the proper diverter assembly manufacture here is a top and sideName:  IMG_6258.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  33.4 KBName:  IMG_6260.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  85.6 KB photo of the original valves.....

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

WIth the right tools, you can replace the valves with a new, up to code, antiscald system. You'd probably need a diamond cutoff wheel on a grinder or maybe a diamond bit on a rotary cutter (like maybe a RotoZip), depending on how hard the tile is, but is is doable. Those handles and trim are pretty pitted, so maybe it's time...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    WIth the right tools, you can replace the valves with a new, up to code, antiscald system. You'd probably need a diamond cutoff wheel on a grinder or maybe a diamond bit on a rotary cutter (like maybe a RotoZip), depending on how hard the tile is, but is is doable. Those handles and trim are pretty pitted, so maybe it's time...
    The other valves for hot and cold where already replaced only the shower diverter assembly was left intact (I am starting to see why with how old the assembly is said to be by some...) the other assemblies are in good condition only the outside valve handles and medal cosmetics are in need of replacement...