Curious about insulating walls

Users who are viewing this thread

tomcola

tomcat
Reaction score
I have built a room made from my deck. I don't want it as a room only seasonal. I would like to put some foam insulation between the 2x4 'S. How do I attach rigid foam? One inch ?

tomcola

tomcat
Reaction score
If I fully insulate it it would be considered a room by the inspectors. I only want it as a screened in porch. If I call it sa room it will raise my taxes. And I would like to know how to hold it in place, glue?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
construction adhesive, but if it is a "screened room" what good will insulating the walls do? The room is going to be at the same temperature as the outdoor air. It should only be a "room" if it is closed in with doors and windows, so it could be occupied year round.

tomcola

tomcat
Reaction score
It would be considered a room. A screened in porch does have windows and doors. Without those it would be useless to call it a screened in porch!

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is adhesive specifically used for installing extruded foam board. It is commonly found in caulk-gun style tubes in the same isle of the store as caulk.

Most other adhesives have solvents in them that will melt the foam board.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It would be considered a room. A screened in porch does have windows and doors. Without those it would be useless to call it a screened in porch!
Around here a screened porch has only screens, not windows.

Foam board can also be held in simply by a friction fit if cut oversized. It can also be held in place in vertical applications with pieces of lath cut long so that it bows.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that many foams are required to be covered with a fireproof material (typically drywall). Some of them burn quite hot and give off some noxious fumes. You don't want it just sitting there on the walls uncovered.

And, if it truely is screened in, not sure if insulation would buy you much of anything.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quotes;I only want it as a screened in porch. A screened in porch does have windows and doors.

It has SCREENS for windows/wall openings and SCREEN DOORS, (if necessary, not all SCREENED rooms are where you need to, or can, exit from them), for exit. You are being argumentative or do not recognize the difference between SCREENS and SOLID windows and doors. SOLID window and doors create a temperature differential between the indoors and outdoors, and insulation DOES minimize transfer between the two areas, and when necessary the MORE insulation the slower the heat transfer occurs.

DanT

Reaction score
insulating a screened porch is just a waste of money but hey it's your money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks