Help removing tub/shower faucet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Gates mommy

Reaction score
Be patient, please - I've never posted on a forum before, and I'm NO PLUMBER! My husband and I have replaced faucets in sinks, replaced toilets, kitchen sink faucets... but we're not sure if it's time to call in the professionals. We have a new shower head/tub faucet/water handle combo ready to install, but we can't get the old shower handle "off". Again, pardon my ignorance, but should this unscrew?? I believe that it was a Delta handle - my husband got the plastic portion of the handle off, and the metal plate that sits behind the handle to block the hole in the tile, but we're stuck - if I knew how to attach a photo here, I would - do you normally have to cut off a shower valve? :eek:

Thanks for whatever advice you can provide!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Replacing the shower head and tub spout are straight forward. Installing a new handle is also straightforward IF you mean that you have an exact replacement...brand, model, etc. If you picked up just any handle, take it back, because faucet parts are not "universal"; they are brand and model specific. If you purchased an entire new shower valve, it is usually soldered to the pipes in the wall. The easiest way to put it in is to open up the wall from the back side if you have access.

Post back with some details.

Alan Felts

Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem

This description sounds exactly like what I am struggling with. My house is also in the mid-70's vintage and I was also trying to remove the cold, hot, and diverter handles. As described above, I removed the screw and pulled, and only the plastic handle portion came off. There is still a flat faced cone with the "+" on the end which enables the plastic handle to turn this "sub-handle" when it is installed. I have tried to see if there is a set screw inside, using hex keys and small screwdrivers, but I cannot find what is holding this "sub-handle" to the stem.
A picture is woth 1000 words, but I don't have one.

Alan Felts

Reaction score
Thanks Plumber 1

Thanks for the advice. I'll get to the hardware store and give it a try!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Gates mommy.

Sounds like you said you were going to change the complete tub and shower faucet.
If thats the case just use a hack saw on the stem or handle. don't worry about saving the old faucet.
You know that you will need to get to the backside of that wall to get to the rest of the faucet? Hope that there is an access door for you to work in.
There may even be shut-off valves in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks