Kenmore Softener Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

btb079

Reaction score
I have a Kenmore UltraSoft 250. It was in the house when we moved in 5 years ago. It has never really seemed to soften the water. The resin tank was replaced in 2007 because it cracked and flooded the basement, but that is a different story.

Like I said the water softener has never really seemed to work right. It goes through salt, but the water doesn't seem soften whether it's set to the lowest setting or the highest. I've pulled out and cleaned the nozzle/venturi several times, but it doesn't make a difference. I've also gone through the troubleshooting steps on Kenmore's site. Recently, we've been getting a slight sulfur smell from the softened water, but last night a put some bleach in the brine and ran a regeneration and it seems to have gone away.

Can anyone give me some other ideas to try to fix this? I'd like to try to fix this myself before buying another one.

Thanks,
Bill

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Start with a test of the water before the system and after the system.
There might be a blow by leak, untreated water getting to the treated side.
One point could the the bypass handle not seated all the way to service, the other could be that the disc seal is broken and letting water cross within the valve or that the o ring on the distributor is missing ....

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Bill, Welcome to Terry's Forums,

I would replace the unit, Then you know your starting point.

You can get a test kit and determine the hardness level that you have , then go from there.

Parts are available for the Kenmore, But a replacement would be best. Sears does back their product.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks