Water Supply Connection for House and Irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

jasontf

Reaction score
I'm installing an irrigation system and I need to replace the tee that goes into my house to use one side for my sprinklers (instead of an existing hose bib). The existing installation is 3/4" copper pipe (from the meter) to a compression fitting, then the main shutoff 1", then a galvanized union 1", then the tee into the house and hose bib. When I replace the tee, must I use galvanized again? I would prefer pvc with threaded connections, but this is above ground. If I wrap it in pipe insulation and electrical tape, will it be to code? This is PVC after the main house shutoff just outside the structure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You make no mention of a backflow preventer. Anytime you have a cross connection, domestic and irrigation, you must have a functioning device to prevent your domestic side from contamination. Do you really thing electrical tape is part of any plumbing code? Given your apparent complete lack of knowledge on the subject, I would suggest you get a professional lawn service to install a safe and legal connection. Hospital bills cost more than plumbers.

jasontf

Reaction score
My full connection would work like this:
3/4" copper pipe to compression fitting, then SCH 80 PVC union, then SCH 80 PVC tee to house and irrigation. On the irrigation side, then a brass strainer, PVC connection to a pressure vacuum breaker, then 1" SCH 40 PVC to irrigation valves.
I mention the pipe insulation and electrical tape because this is what the city used to install an irrigation system near my neighborhood. Texas is hot and they have SCH 40 PVC coming up from a ground connection, then into a pressure vacuum breaker, then SCH 40 PVC back into the ground. The PVC is covered by pipe insulation and secured with electrical tape. Is this to code? Is is also acceptable for the tee into my house supply?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks