(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Filox Backwashing

Default Filox Backwashing

Hello;
    I have just installed a 1 cu/ft filox filter for iron removal. I have a chlorine injector and mixing tank ahead of the new filter. My iron is 12 ppm at well head, H2s is present but not a problem since I introduced the chlorine, and a ph of 6.5.
    How long should I backwash the new filter? The valve, Fleck 7000 sxt, came out of the box set at 30 min backwash and then followed by a 10 min "Rapid Rinse".
    This seems to waste a lot of water in 40 min. Is it required or excessive? How often should it backwash? I have it set for daily now.
    Thanks

Found a pdf file on the Filox R media... and the daily backwash is correct for it.
    I am still working on the time frame for the backwash and rinse.. tho the rinse sounds correct.
    What is the gpm on the unit of the backwash? should be in the 7-9 gpm range.

Thanks for checking. I don't know much about the well except that it has a submersible pump. I bought the property from an estate and the company that drilled the well is out of business. Tomorrow, I will time the pump cycle and check the gallons to give me an estimate of the gpm.

How new is the pump and the well?
    Any sign of the well control box? it should say 1/2 horse or more..
    Size of pump and how deep the pump is set will give an idea as to what you might likely should see in flow rate.
    I know that here there is a flow test on the well for a house and the perk test for the septic system.. there is likely to be some thing like that for yours.

Nothing on the control box. I did the "bucket test" and came up with 11.5 gpm.

<http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/technical/water-treatment-calculations/body_flow_rate.html>

I also came accross this pdf file describing a filter setup. This is not my exact filter but it is similar with the only difference being my valve is a Fleck 7000 sxt. In the setup it shows two backwash cycles for a total of 12 minutes and a rinse of 6 minutes.

<http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/technical/water-treatment-guides/Iron_Filox/7000_Catalox_Vortech_startup.pdf>

Do you think this is adequate?
    Thanks

Check out this link.
    http://www.premium-water-filters.com...ts/Filox-R.pdf

If you have that vortech tank , pray that nothing ever happens to the distributor, because if it breaks you will be in need of a new tank and not just a replacement of the distributor tube.

Daily back wash for that unit, and I would leave it for the 30/10,,,

Properly backwashing mineral is not a waste of water. Having the mineral fail due to incomplete backwashing wastes all the water the filter ever used.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Hello Mr. Slusser;
    Thanks for taking the time to help me. What do you recommend for backwash and rinse cycles?
    I don't have any experience with the filox system and am wondering how much water is required to "properly backwash" the media. I have seen recommendations as low as the 12 min backwash and 6 min rinse on the clean water store website and am wondering if that is adequate. I certainly do not want to ruin the new filter I just installed but I hate to waste several hundred gallons of water a day by over washing the media.
    Texas is in a severe drought. Water rationing is in effect. Wild fires are a real threat and rampant, several hundred acres burned over this holiday weekend near my home before being brought under control. Also, the water table is dropping to all time lows and wells are going dry.
    I guess I am just trying to balance my need for good quality water and the desire to be a good citizen and do my part to conserve water.

A backwashed filter uses water to clean the mineral, it does not waste water. So your choices are, wash the mineral properly and wash the car/PU/SUV much less often, don't water the lawn, shower once a week etc. etc. or live with the water quality with no filter.

Ask the guy you buy the filter from how many minutes but, remember that all drain water is flow controlled so it is gpm times how many minutes that tells you how much total water use per scheduled backwash. Those things are specific to how much of whatever is in the water, how much water used based on the size in cuft of what type of mineral and probably a couple other things. Get those times and gpm wrong and eventually the mineral fails.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.