need advice on inline filter...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Billfig

Reaction score
Hi, I've always had a 2"x12" cartridge filter, actually 2, 1 between psi tank & softener and 1 after softener but I stopped using the after softener one a month or 2 ago to help psi. Anyways..the cartridge keeps getting fouled/plugged-lasts maybe a month! whats going on? I thought I read someone here say a 2 footer housing job would help? It would really suck if I have to change a 10.00 cartridge every month-boo! I've always used what the stores carry, either a basic sediment or a charcoal filter. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Charcoal filters are never a good choice unless you are trying to remove chlorine.
Any store bought filter rated at less than 20 microns is going to cause a notable drop in flow rate.

25 microns is about the size of a white blood cell. 1 mm is 1000 microns.

If you use too fine of a filter it will clog in a short time and cause the problem you now have.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why not use a Y filter that can be flushed or a birm filter that can be backwashed? Buying replacement throw-away elements every month must get expensive.

Billfig

Reaction score
I actually have a white sediment filter in there now. I'm just gettin real sick of having to change every couple weeks just to get it more useable! I dont know what microns they are? does anyone have any pics and/or links for the "backwash" design? I'm not lookin to spend more than 50.00..? TIA!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Good luck finding anything worth having for $50.

Google "Ecopure automatic sediment filter" for a backwashing filter that is economical.

If you shop around, there are also washable filters that fit in your existing unit.

Billfig

Reaction score
OK Thanks, lol on the expenditure...thing is I just renewed/upgraded my tank and hardware and a neighbor is pushing for a water district of 11 at a cost of 40k ea. over a 30yr.bond! what a joke, I'm broke. Yet the main coming to many just a 1/8 mile away in a "different" town is free due to a town project? Sucks.....I hope we don't get it cause I can't afford it...
I googles ecopure...
As a stand-alone filter, I would not recommend it for any imaginable water treatment solution except maybe keeping junk out of the toilet or some other not important water usage. These are little more than an expensive spin down filter with a (relatively large mesh size) screen filter to remove visible particles (+- 60 microns).

By the time this becomes "useful" the water is already too dirty to leave as is and additionaly equipment would be required. In fact it is quite hard for me to think of any situation where this could be helpful.

These are sold, typically, at bigbox stores and are aimed at those with little understanding of water conditions and appropriate treatment. Sold by personnel that has little understanding of the product, by a store that neither installs or services it, and a manufacturere that doesn't trust it past one year.

My advice: understand your water conditions first before buying any treatment equipment and remmeber--going cheap can be very costly.

Andy Christensen
That don't sound promising...

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are bigger filters such as Big Boy Filters that are 20 inches long and up to 4.5 inches in diameter. They cost a lot more than $10.00 but you want have to change it as often. Also I think it would be good to do a thorough sample to find out what is in your water so you know exactly what you need. Most county health departments will do a bacteria and chemical sample for a small fee. They are not trying to sell you anything so you can usually trust the results.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Filtering water with a whole-house filter and treating water with softners/greensand/UV, etc, are entirely different things.
Filters are for removing sediment/sand/rust particles, and other solid particulate.

One would need a water test done to determine if there is any reason to apply treatment.

Billfig

Reaction score
Thanks all! Water was tested by county 25 yrs ago for C of O, I have always run a Sears softener(which lasts me 8yrs.) hardness was 35. Well is 80' & 25gpm recovery?, pump was renewed 5 yrs. ago(1st time). We do use alot of water it seems. I became aware of all this after renewing bladder tank(pm) and to help boost psi. Since the switch & getting everything properly adjusted, my psi is excellent! But only for a few wks. then the filter becomes restricting+ I did run 2 inline but have since left 1 empty. It's perplexing....lol These pics are of 1st plugging prolly due to all the screwing around I did for a few days(lotta cycling)it was like a clay/paste? I changed it yesterday and there was not much "stuff" in the housing but as soon as I put a new 1 in, BAM!...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks