Water pressure in 30 second intervals

Users who are viewing this thread

todddrs93

Reaction score
Started with losing water little by little, like when watering the grass it would take 5 mins and there would be no water left. Then it would take another 5-10 minutes to get any sort of water back.

Eventually it got so bad I had like 5 mins worth of water every hour.

I cut the power and drained the tank and the water in the lines and checked the bladder pressure, it read like 2-3 lbs.

I pumped the tank up to 38lbs and that did not help anything.

Next I replaced the 40/60 pressure switch on the well tank and the pressure gauge to be sure I was getting correct readings.

Then the pressure read around 55lbs, and supplied a steady flow of water for 5 mins, then all the sudden I could literally hear pressure drop and the gauge dived all the way down to 0 within about 10 seconds. I also have a large inline filter with clear housing just after the pump so I could see the water level drop in the filter all the way down till it was empty. It stayed empty for about 30 seconds and the gauge stayed on 0, then all the sudden water flowed back in till full and the gauge instantly popped up to 55lbs.

Now it will constantly do this same thing, flow a few mins, drop to nothing, fill back up in about 30 seconds.

Any ideas whats going on?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums todddrs93,

Maybe your pumps internal Overload is Turning the motor off, Then when it resets, starts working again.

If the filter is plugged that could cause a pump overload condition, Or maybe the motor is bad, causing the overload to trip.

Have a Good Day.

DonL

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Two possibilities. Bad pump, no water in the hole. The first option can be tested with a multi-meter the second requires a bit of work

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I also have a large inline filter with clear housing just after the pump so I could see the water level drop in the filter all the way down till it was empty. It stayed empty for about 30 seconds and the gauge stayed on 0, then all the sudden water flowed back in till full and the gauge instantly popped up to 55lbs.

I've yet to see a pump overload that would push air through a filter housing displacing all the water. The only way for the filter housing to fill with air is for the pump to suck air. If you pump the well dry, it will suck air and take a while to recover.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks