Powder Room Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

DownTheDrain

Reaction score
I live in a rowhouse, the ground floor being only living space, the bedrooms are upstairs. The new ground floor powder room that is being constructed will be tight on space. When you enter the powder room, the toilet will be on the right hand side wall. The space from the side wall to the door is about 30 1/2". Upstairs, in the full bath I will be putting in a Toto Promenade.
My questions:
1) Since the powder room toilet will almost always be used for #1 (I assume) are there any issues with comfort since women will be sitting and men, most likely, will be standing?
2) Is getting a low flush toilet a good idea since most waste will be liquid?

If space wasn't an issue, I would opt for the Eco Promenade elongated which is 29" front to back (toilet + backspace) and has a 1.28 GPF. The round front version is 26 7/8.

Any thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Promenade comes in both round and elongated,
Standard Glaze and CEFIONTECT / CeFiONtect
1.6 gallon and 1.28 gallon.
Yeah, that should work.

promenade_round_front.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have no choice on getting a low flow toilet. The only choice is 1.6 gpf or 1.28 gpf. I'd be more concerned about getting a comfort height than round or elongated, but elongated is still my favorite.

Otearai

DIY Engineer
Reaction score
I live in a rowhouse, the ground floor being only living space, the bedrooms are upstairs. The new ground floor powder room that is being constructed will be tight on space.

In some ways, our circumstances are different: we live in a stand-alone house. But the rest we share: the bedrooms are upstairs, and the ground floor powder room is short on space.

As the new year dawned, we installed a Toto Vespin II in our powder room (eight feet wide by 33 inches deep, with the entry door on one of the long sides). Our toilet is on the right hand "side" wall. We are happy with our choice.

Since the powder room toilet will almost always be used for #1 (I assume) are there any issues with comfort since women will be sitting and men, most likely, will be standing?

The Toto Unifit adapter allowed us to install the Vespin II flush against the right side (as we enter the powder room) wall, so its elongated bowl intrudes into the space less than most round bowl toilets would. Both guys and dolls can use the toilet comfortably.

Is getting a low flush toilet a good idea since most waste will be liquid?

A low flush toilet is a good idea for any reason. In our home, the deteriorating (disappearing) meniscus in both of my knees has reduced my ability to stand when my knee is bent beyond 90°, and so our guests' downstairs powder room with the ADA height Vespin II -- planned to be used mainly by guests -- has supplanted our upstairs full bathroom -- which has a lower-profile commode -- for my morning business. Events sometimes overtake planning, and it is worthwhile to plan for contingencies not yet seen as likely.

You might also look into Inax toilets (Inax, with a 30 percent market share in Japan, plays BMW to Toto's Mercedes in Japan) when looking at your options.

DownTheDrain

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the fast responses. Regarding the Toto Unifit adapter, doesn't that just change the rough in dimension? Either way the toilet will be almost against the wall. To be clear, the space from the wall which has the toilet tank against it to the doorway is 30 1/2 inches. If the toilet was 31" front to back the door would hit the front edge when trying to open.
As a guy I have no problem urinating in an elongated bowl, round front, or chamber pot. My aim is true and comfort is not an issue. I was wondering if women found them less comfortable. I could take a poll in my neighborhood but thought I would draw upon the experiences, first hand and otherwise, of you fine people.
I will also look into the Inax as was mentioned and will probably go for the comfort height as that seems to be the consensus. I bought the Promenade with CEFIONTECT for upstairs based on reviews here but I am just at the rough in stage.

Thanks Again & Happy Flushing

Otearai

DIY Engineer
Reaction score
Regarding the Toto Unifit adapter, doesn't that just change the rough in dimension? Either way the toilet will be almost against the wall. To be clear, the space from the wall which has the toilet tank against it to the doorway is 30 1/2 inches. If the toilet was 31" front to back the door would hit the front edge when trying to open.

Your room dimensions sound close to ours (though we have a pocket door). The rough-in of the toilet that the Vespin II replaced in our powder room was standard -- 12", I think -- and the dimensions of the Vespin II are shown in the specs as leaving the unit sitting an inch or two away from the wall. However, because of the Unifit, it could be moved right flush with the wall, and therefore sticks out into the room just a smidge over 29½". You will have at least 7/8" to spare for the swing of your door.

DownTheDrain

Reaction score
If I use the Promenade Elongated i'll have a 1 1/2" before door. If i go with the round front I'll have 3 5/8". Was wondering if it would be worth it to gain a little space and possibly lose a little comfort. Like I said, this would most likely be used for #1.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks