Hot Tub Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It should be on a ground fault interrupt.

DonL

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Mixing conductor sizes and colors may be a problem, the ground wire can be smaller, but the other current conductors need to be the same size.

I hope your project works well.

Be careful playing with electricity...

DonL

Last edited:

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
I would not change to a smaller size neutral. Some tubs also call for a ground the same size as the other conductors.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
What is the correct Romexâ„¢ wire?

edit: I looked it up, and I still think it's going to be cheaper to get the cables and run them through PVC Conduit. I can get 6AWG red/blk for $63/100ft, and 8AWG wht for something like $40/100ft, and 12AWG grn/yllw for $30/100ft. Add that to the conduit that I should be able to get under $100, and I can probably run it all for under $300. For $100 ft of 6/3 romex, it runs around that same cost, and my electrician still wants THHW for the outside connection from the disconnect box, to run in EMT conduit.

What size breaker are you tying the 6AWG to? I would guess either a fifty or forty amp breaker. That would mean you would need at least a 10AWG green.

Jim Port correctly states that some manufactures, a lot actually, want a full size neutral and ground. Check your instructions.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Don’t make this more than it has to be.

Install #4 SE-R al. to the disconnect located on the outside wall and then flex and THW cu. conductors to the tub.

DonL

Reaction score
I am glad you stopped by JW,

I don't think that his friend needs to be thrown under the bus, he is trying to help out.

And aopainter just wants help, not BS.

Thank You...

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
It's a 60 amp Disconnect panel
10AWG copper will work for an equipment ground up to sixty amp.
Don’t make this more than it has to be.

Install #4 SE-R al. to the disconnect located on the outside wall and then flex and THW cu. conductors to the tub.
This is another way to skin your cat and would most likely be more economical.

Aopainter

Reaction score
I can't find this cable anywhere online to know what it looks like. I'm going down to the electrical wire store today, so I'll ask about that wire. I was able to get about 90ft of PVC conduit for $17, so i'm going to put that in the attic

DonL

Reaction score
Save some conduit for exposed wire outside...

What wire can you not find ?

Last edited:

Aopainter

Reaction score
I bought 20ft of EMT conduit for the outside. But the wire I cant find online is "#4 SE-R al." And thats 4AWG right? Do I need 4AWG, i thought 6AWG was what I wanted

DonL

Reaction score
I bought 20ft of EMT conduit for the outside. But the wire I cant find online is "#4 SE-R al." And thats 4AWG right? Do I need 4AWG, i thought 6AWG was what I wanted

If you are putting in a 60 amp service, then you may need #4.

You might want to see what your current requirements are, and that will determine the breaker and wires size.

The length does play into the equation, But code seems to play different, That depends on local codes.

Maybe your friend could make sure that you can meet your code. He should know the requirements.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
#4 American Wire Gauge aluminum Service Entrance four conductor cable is good for 50 amps. It does not need to be installed in a conduit. Lowe’s or Home Depot will cut to length or any electrical supply house.

Electrical Metallic Tubing is a bad idea to use for the final connection to the hot tub as the chemicals used in the tub will cause it to rust. Non-Metallic Flex is a better idea for the final run of copper THW conductors.

Take you age and multiply it by 10 and you haven’t come close to the number of these tubs I have installed in my life time so listen to experience.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
The SER cannot be used for the exterior portions to feed the hot tub. The grounding conductor needs to be insulated.

There is a 6' limit on the flex to feed the tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Reaction score
JW is correct, old farts know some stuff.....
Just meet your local code... And get it done...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks