Diag. pump problem???

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry B

Reaction score
Howdy, My well quit yesterday and it is hard to get any service work at this time since we live in SW Mo. and the tornado just came through. Every one is busy helping with that naturally..I have power to all three wires at the pump leads going down into the well..that would mean the pump has failed correct? From time to time, I turn the breaker back on and the pump never has started again. Am I on the right track?
Thanks so much! Terry B

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It may be the pump motor or the start capacitor in the control box. If you know the model of pump, all the worthy pump manufacturers have troubleshooting informations with resistance and current specs published on their web sites.

Terry B

Reaction score
Start up cap.?

Thanks for the advice, please keep it comming. I know on a AC capicator that the unit swells when it fails, is this the same symptom on the well units? I am headed down to remove the control box..
terry B

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Basically, yes. But usually a start cap blows its top or just leaks. Go to Franklins AIM manual on line and see a lot of info.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
If it's an old system with red, black and yellow wires going to the pump there should be a control box with a capacitor, relay and overload switch. If it's there you may have one of those components bad. If possible I'd replace the whole control box and try that.
However if it's a relatively new system with red, black and green wires going to the pump, you probably have a 2 wire pump with no control box. In this case power should go to the red and black wires only. The green wire is only a case (frame) ground. This green wire should be grounded!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks