Leaking drop pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

shawnb

Reaction score
Hello,

I have what i believe is a leak in a drop pipe. My well pump is cycling off for about 2 minutes and then on for about 2 minutes when no water is being used in the house. I shut off the water supply to the house to make sure there was no leak indoors and it still cycles on and off. I pulled the cap on my well and can hear water running inside but can't see any water leaking. I'm wondering if I can leave it in this condition until I can get it repaired or should I shut the power to the well off.

I'm also wondering if I could atempt to repair this myself. According to my records the well depth is 135' and the drop pipe length is 105'. Its a 4" well with a 3/4hp pump. I'm concerned about pulling it myself because I'm not sure if the leak in the pipe could be something that would come apart when pulling it and losing the pump down the well. There isn't any pull rope that I can see only the wiring to the pump.

Hope this makes sense and I appreciate any feedback.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would not allow it to continue cycling unnecessarily, as this is nothing but added wear and tear on your pump, pressure tank, and switch.

You might or might not be able to pull the pump. Much of it depends on the water level in the well, the type of pipe which is installed, and how many good strong friends you have. The problem with DIY on a well pump is that when problems arise when pulling, it is proper equipment and experience that might prevent something bad from happening. Something as simple as dropping a tool or breaking a pipe might be an $8000 mistake.

shawnb

Reaction score
Any idea of what I would expect to pay to have somebody pull it and check it out?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The price varies greatly depending on location. $500 to come out and pull it would be average around here, but is never all that is needed.

The thing to ask yourself is, if you are going to pay to have it pulled out, would it not make sense to have the pump and piping replaced, and what is the age of the pressure tank and switch, as it might be due also.

It's been said that the average lifespan of pumps and tanks is around 10-12 years. I know I would not pay to have an old pump set back down the hole if it wasn't going to last that long.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, a 4 inch pump in a 4 inch well could easily get stuck at about the static water level from a ring of buildup. As cacher_chick said, depending on age, you might want to replace the pump while you're at it. My guess is the drop pipe abraded against the casing and needs to be replaced. The wire too could have abrasion and needs to be carefully inspected.

shawnb

Reaction score
I replaced my well tank, switch, and piping a couple of years ago due to a leak. I think I'll just turn it off when I'm not home and only turn it on when needed until I can get someone to repair it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks