question on well seals

Users who are viewing this thread

Btglenn

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb one but does the well seal play any other part other than keeping debris from the well. Just had a buddy tell a shallow well will not hold prime without a complete seal.

Also, my well has a 1 1/4 drop and the well itself barely fits the couplings for the 1 1/4 drop pipe so Im assuming its around 1 1/2 ID. I can lift the drop pipe right out of the well so I am assuming the seal isn't on correctly. This particular seal goes around the outside of the well pipe instead of inside it and has tightening bolts which squeeze a gasket. I cant free the bolts so Im guessing i need to get a new seal. Is there a better type or anyone know where i can order one like the one I have online?

thanks

btglenn

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Your Well Seal is a Sanitary Seal only. It has nothing to do with your pumping system! Assuming that you have an above ground pump there should only be a foot valve at the bottom end of your 1-1/4" drop pipe.

Btglenn

Reaction score
thanks, thats what i thought

friend has a deep well jet pump i think with 2 draw pipes, would that make a difference

also what does the ejector do?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds more like he has a 2" well with a 1.25" drop line ( couplings barely fit inside the casing). The well seal or as I call them well head or casing adapter seals the well and allows your pump to feed water back down to the jet using the space between the drop pipe and the casing.

The jet (ejector) allows you to draw water at a depth deeper than 25', which is what a shallow well jet pump is limited to.

Btglenn

Reaction score
Yea it is 2" sorry

i had the pleasure of removing my friends drop pipe from his deep well b/c his casing was cracked, now i see the difference

thanks!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The casing adapter seal does play a important part in a 2" packer system, and must be sealed, to work properly.

You should be able to fine a new seal online, But you may want to check your packer jet (ejector) also, if that is the type of system that you have.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks