10 things you should know about exercise

Users who are viewing this thread

gusdeli

Reaction score
10 THINGS YOU SHOULDN’T BELIEVE
WHEN IT COMES TO EXERCISE AND WEIGHT LOSS

Adapted by: Gus Deligiannidis, BA, MBA
Motivational Health through Nutrition Expert
Arthur of: My Personal Story of Health through Nutrition, Weight Loss and Light Exercise

There is a lot of misunderstanding, sometimes even deception, and all that many times leads people to misbelieve about exercise and weight loss. After many studies and hours of reading up on exercise and my crusade of losing weight, this is what I came up with.

1. Sit-ups or crunches will burn fat off your abs.
“I see a lot of people in here and say they want to lose their stomach,†Koerber says. “I say, ‘Modify your diet and start working on a treadmill.’ And they look at me like I’m crazy. You could have abs like Schwarzenegger but if you have a layer of body fat over them, you will never see them.†Don’t get us wrong – abdominal exercises are great for strengthening your abs and core, but they’re not going to take the fat off.

2. There is an easy way to lose weight.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Fines have been levied against diet pills that claim to have the quick fix. “There is no magic fix,†says Koerber, who teaches a class called “infomercial myths†at BJC Well Aware. “It’s called work. (That person in that ad) didn’t get that body in 20 minutes a day, three days a week. It’s just not possible.â€

3. If you don’t have time for the government’s recommended 30 to 90 minutes a day, you shouldn’t bother.

The truth is, anything you can do will be beneficial. Studies have shown that even splitting up those 30 minutes into 10-minute segments is good for you. Again, I’d like to refer you to my personal findings presented earlier, where you can see that I actually went with my gut feelings.

4. Weightlifting makes women big and bulky.

“That’s just not true,†Hoover says. “Unless they are using steroids, it’s not going to happen.†He says many women are so afraid of this that they lift weights that are too light to properly tone and strengthen their bodies.

5. You aren’t working hard enough if you aren’t dripping in sweat.

How much you sweat depends on more than how hard you are working. Your body temperature, the clothes you are wearing, genetics and more determine how much you sweat. “Some people can get in a great workout without breaking much of a sweat.†Hoover says. “And then there’s the guy who sweats when he does a biceps curl.â€

6. Workouts should hurt.

Though feeling sore a day or two after a new workout can be fairly normal, you should never hurt beyond that. “If the soreness worsens, or if you have it four, five or six days after the workout, something’s wrong.†Hoover says, “You may have some sort of inflammation.â€

7. If you stop exercising, your muscles will turn to fat.

Muscle tissue and fat tissue are completely different. Hoover says. If you stop exercising, your muscle will become smaller and perhaps atrophy. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you will get fat. You’ll gain weight only if you keep eating the way you were when you were exercising. If you eat less to make up for not burning calories, you won’t get fat.

8. As you age, you will lose muscle and gain fat.

Though there is some truth to this, it’s not an absolute. As you age, your metabolism decreases, but resistance training can increase and help you maintain lean muscle mass. “You can maintain your muscle – you just have to work a little harder,†Hoover says.

9. Workouts must be intense to burn fat.

Actually, the body burns fat as efficiently when you do low- to moderate-intensity workouts. Unfortunately though, it takes longer to burn calories in a low-intensity workout as compared with a high-intensity.

10. Stretching isn’t important because it won’t make you thinner.

Most people skip flexibility training because they think it doesn’t have a direct impact on their fitness. But, if you think about the fact that without proper stretching you could become injured, thus missing many workouts, it’s vital, Koerber says. It’s also important to maintain your body’s range of motion as you age.
http://www.natureshealingfoods.com

Cookie

Reaction score
I used to run 5 miles a day in the morning. No more, lol. I used to ride my bike the same. No more. My son bought a house, I gave him both of those machines. I have been lifting weights for 13 years now, because of an arm problem. It helps, it isn't great though. But, it helps some. I do yoga, and have been before it was the in thing to do. I walk alot during the course of the day, ( back & forth to the coffee machine, lol.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks