is this vent layout really bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
Please have a look at my photos and tell me do I really need to redo that U turn layout vent? If yes, I will redo it this weekend. that blue line is my original plan but i found it was too difficulty to go that way last weekend. now i may have to go that way.

Another question is can I use a tee in the drain to vent there. I know usually we should use wye or combo but the space is too tight. A tee or a wye will make a big difference in terms of space saving.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 621
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 612
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 645

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some of the red lines you show in the middle picture can ABSOLUTELY NOT be installed that way. And that is an complete prohibition, therefore the question of whether you can use a tee there, as shown, is irrelevent. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "U turned vent". What would you want to do at the point where you indicate "can cut here but hard to connect new PVC"? Right now, I would say given your degree of experience, and the type of job you are trying to do, it is time to call a professional. And by that I mean a plumber and NOT a handyman.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As usual hj is being too kind.

I saw those pictures last night, and sadly, even after watching a funny movie afterwards, I still had nightmares about the plumbing in those pictures.

lmei007

Reaction score
Ok I will explain to you.

1. this is the U turn vent I am talking about:IMG_2737.jpg

2. are you saying the red line, black and blue line layout in this photo are no good as well?
IMG_2742.jpg

3. how about this layout?
Copy of IMG_2742.jpg

4. Are you saying I cannot connect the vent (black line) to the left most vertical line. That connection is not necessary because there is no other drain except the planned red line bath drain and basment counter sink drain which will be vented by the blue line.

BTY, most of the parts there are just placeholder. Not glue them together yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

lmei007

Reaction score
As usual hj is being too kind.

I saw those pictures last night, and sadly, even after watching a funny movie afterwards, I still had nightmares about the plumbing in those pictures.

Sorry to make you uncomfortable. So please give me advice to make it better. It may be caused by unclear pictures. The result should not be that bad if I have explained it to you clearly.

lmei007

Reaction score
What you show is an improper vent for a tub,
Reventing other fixtures below the 42" level on the next floor

Those are the first two things that are wrong.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

dwv_b2.jpg

thank you for that useful doc. I am reading it now.

That tub vent was there for years, may be more than 50 yrs since this house was built. "improper vent for a tub" because the vent goes horizontal immediately? is there a way to improve it?

IMG_2384.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes things are just so totally fubar'd that trying to give saliant advice just by looking at pictures is hard to do. As often happens, what you propose to do will probably function. It won't be done properly though.

Bulldog Plumbing

Reaction score
improper tub vent

What happens if the tub backs up, if you do it the way you have it drawn, is that the water will go down to your sinks and out over your floor. the tub vent needs to go up, over the height of the tub rim by at least six inches, and then tie into the vents from the floor below. the tub vent as existing is and was fine, tying the other two pipes into it will make it much less so.

Last edited:

lmei007

Reaction score
What happens if the tub backs up, if you do it the way you have it drawn, is that the water will go down to your sinks and out over your floor. the tub vent needs to go up, over the height of the tub rim by at least six inches, and then tie into the vents from the floor below. the tub vent as existing is and was fine, tying the other two pipes into it will make it much less so.

Thank you so much to explain me clearly what are the postential problems. I will not connect the sink vent into the tub vent then. There is another vent in that room. It was removed by me. I will use it again to vent the sink. There was no vent for the sink before because its arm was less than 5'. Now I extended that arm so i plan to add vent in.

I am happy now because i learnt the right way for my project. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally appreciate your explaination.:eek::):p:

lmei007

Reaction score
Help me correct it

Thank you for guys' help. I am sorry I messed up initially. Please help me out and find a solution. That is why I am here. Please have a look at my new plan to see if it is much better?

1. dot line means vent;
2. solid line means drain;
3. black line is existing pipes;
4. red and blue line are new planned connection; The red line was connected to another main stack which doesn’t have any other connections from basement. I want to gain more space in basement bathroom so plan to move it.

Question:
Will the red line connection make the entire layout invalid?

Attachments

• BBathroomRepipe.jpg
    BBathroomRepipe.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 577

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The red line will NOT make the layout legal because you are still connecting to a vent line BELOW the floor, which is BOTH below the floor rim of the tub AND less than 42" above the floor where the tub is located. This is really a task for a plumber. In case no one else has addressed it, since I do not want to read all the intervening responses, the "U turn" is NOT illegal, but with a little repiping it would also not be necessary.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The red line needs to be connected below the downstairs drain.
You can't dump upstairs waste into the vent below. Doing so will either plug the vent, or siphon the trap, which was the entire purpose of the vent in the first place.
If you bring in the added fixture "below" the connection of the lower plumbing fixture, below the vent for it, then you would be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He would have to connect the line between the washer's drain and the floor, so it would have to overflow the riser, and not fill up to the point where the overhead vent would become a secondary drain line.

lmei007

Reaction score
Are you guys saying if the red line connection down to below the existing sink drain will make the layout legal? It will be a very easy change to me. Am I read right?

Attachments

• BBathroomRepipe2.jpg
    BBathroomRepipe2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 310

lmei007

Reaction score
how about remove one vent from the sink and move red line above the sink drain? like this:

Attachments

• BBathroomRepipe3b.jpg
    BBathroomRepipe3b.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 268
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks