Somethings are looking up! Suggestions please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve603

Reaction score
Yes, somethings in life these days are positive...

--my water bill is amazingly positive (currently as much each month as it was when I bought my apartment houses). Few townspeople water their lawns anymore.

--The new (largely unknown by rental owners) Depreciation Recovery Tax which means I can only depart from my apartment houses upon death, is positive for the government but not for me.

--my tenant's are very pleased! My typical rent has dropped from $850, to $750, to $650 over three years, and it will get much worse as my town's biggest industry is the college and over the past three years there have been about 400 new off-campus rental units created--and next year my state's funding to the college drops by 45%--ouch.

--I have lots of time on my hands. Full time job is gone, since industry is gone too (Industrial jobs from 1985-2011 in my County has dropped by 95%) I'll never find the same job again (unless I learn Mandarin) well, maybe I can pop popcorn to sell--if the licenses, permits, inspections, tolls, taxes leave me any profit (or allows me to pop popcorn, which is entirely doubtful)--(see this for an amazing story of a bunny rabbit start-up gone bad--facing 6 million dollars in fines! No joke) (I guess links are not allowed so search for keywords: Mr. Dollarite, "$900,000 $6 million dollar fine bunny rabbits--it's worth a peek!" Seriously it's not a joke which I first thought.)

Well, a few things are down--My income--job gone--maximum unemployment in NH is $350@ week. Really, I never ever dreamed that I could lose my apartments, at $650 average per month projected income which may be optimistic when the college gets un-funded--I can last only a few years before I default unless things perk up by then.

Soooo.... maybe I can reduce expenses by replacing the toilets.

>No rebate available.
>The price must be under $220@

I'll install them just as I install every, furnace, water heater, or fixture ect.. Maybe I could go back to school and do an Assoc. Degree in plumbing...hmmm. (My brother is a plumber, and a good one, but he's on the other side of America--he spends half is life plumbing, and the other half skiing Mount Hood, Or. Work is scarce but he still does good.

Ok...like so many other landlords, each unit of my two triplexes has an older, fully functioning, more or less water hungry toilet.

>Source must be available in Southern VT, or NH, or with shipping that does not push the envelope of total cost.

I hear so much about the Toto's that I'm convinced, but reality bites, so: What is the most economical Toto to look for, maybe I can find a deal by buying 3-6? White, Round, basic. Model name/number please.

I suspect that I cannot find a Toto for that price leaving me with the option of paying the water bill and leaving them alone, or make do with another brand that is merely "acceptable."

What brand/models would fit the bill?

Requirements: Able to replace with off the shelf flappers etc. or readily available parts at fairly reasonable prices. Decent flush and reliability.

I am saddened that as the years go by that once I could buy six furnaces or six toilets and get at least something of a price cut but no more. When I need a plumber I'm happy to pay a decent price--it's a tough job, but in some plumbing/electrical areas I know what the mark-up is and frankly as the big guys swallow the smaller guys (Two smaller plumbing/electrical supply houses in this area are gone or swallowed) some mark-ups are becoming obscene. I wonder about the future. The small guy that can do most stuff himself often can't get Jack because the biggest supply houses won't sell to him (even though I purchased many furnaces from them (new owner)). I'm sorry but buying six toilets at one time, self-installed I should be able to get a price someplace between what the typical retail price is and what a plumber pays.

Simple answers on which model Toto to look for, and one or two "acceptable (even if marginally acceptable) brand/model # would be appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My first choice would be the Toto Drake
Round front CST743E, $199.99

Or you can look at a Cadet 3 and some others.
Kohler makes a Wellworth that might work.

Steve603

Reaction score
My first choice would be the Toto Drake
Round front CST743E, $199.99

Or you can look at a Cadet 3 and some others.
Kohler makes a Wellworth that might work.

Thank you Terry. I just spent two hours and though I can find nothing local, I did find an online provider that appears to have a good reputation here in the East and was just about to ask (since I've become convinced of Drake's quality) should I go with the: TOTO CST744S Drake Two Piece Elongated Toilet with G-Max Gravity Flushing System; or go with: TOTO CST743E Eco Drake Two Piece Toilet (Round Front Rim) both are priced about the same here, delivered.

I'm assuming that you're recommending the 743E over the 744S, if I'm incorrect please comment and thanks again!

Steve603

Reaction score
No rebates, not a zinc penny...

any preference in that case? Which one, since the prices are similar, in your estimation, would be best, absent any rebate?

And yes, I have seen San Francisco's $150 rebate program, nice, but I am happy not to live in California because they would ultimately take it out of my hide...or try! California's government playing into the Pied Piper's game... *lol* sorry....

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks