(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on expansion tank installation. Picture included.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Neo Man, cool fur.
    Thank You Cookie. It is a buckskin, I'm quite proud of it.
    They are tough for us to get, not many hunters with just a stone bladed knife can say the they have gotten one.
    I'm here to learn all about indoor plumbing.

Yes, reason being most of the salesclerks there and at HD are just kids. I know one, a friend's son who is graduating high school this month. He's been there 2 years in the paint dept. They are just clerks, maybe to help you find something, but not skilled to offer any advise. If you are lucky enough to get someone retired from an occupation that is a real treat and a rare, find. Someone who knows what you are talking about. It is not the fault of the kids or clerks, they are just doing their jobs, it is not to be expected they know about what an expansion tank does. Most won't even know what one looks like. And, that is okay. Imagine if the kids/clerks know about everything in that big store, why would they be working there at such a young age? They should be out in the field working or having their own business not making miminum wage. Just commonsense. I don't expect much help when I get there, lol, so I bone up on what I need to know, before I enter it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    You're absolutely right about the sales clerks, but the store didn't even stock them, and I don't think the do now either. I rarely expect much good advice from those people. Mostly it's where can I find a particular thing, not what do I need or how do I use it. In fairness however, I have encountered some very knowledgeable and helpful clerks. Sometimes retired plumbers or electricians.

I want one... I like that natural look.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal Man View Post
    Thank You Cookie. It is a buckskin, I'm quite proud of it.
    They are tough for us to get, not many hunters with just a stone bladed knife can say the they have gotten one.

See, I already know, when I replace my 16 year old maybe, older water heater, I will need to put an expansion tank on. No question on that.

It always amazes me the number of plumbers that argue this issue. The code clearly states that the tank must be installed and furthermore if you take the time to read it, NOWHERE does it say that it's exempt if you are on a private well or a so called open system. We sell tanks. We make PROFIT selling and installing equipment. Put the damn thing in, collect the check and call it a day.

I want one... I like that natural look.
    The easiest way for you is to probably get a good strong kitchen knife and climb up on your roof.
    When one comes walking by jump down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    It always amazes me the number of plumbers that argue this issue. The code clearly states that the tank must be installed and furthermore if you take the time to read it, NOWHERE does it say that it's exempt if you are on a private well or a so called open system. We sell tanks. We make PROFIT selling and installing equipment. Put the damn thing in, collect the check and call it a day.
    Well The guy doing the arguing so persistently isn't a plumber.
    Just yesterday he learned how to flush a toilet in this very thread.

There's a Geico commercial in here somewhere

I guess I will have to wear what I got.
    Last edited by Cookie; 06-01-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Neo Man, I like this look...
    Last edited by Cookie; 06-01-2011 at 07:04 PM.

I am glad that some townships are making it mandatory, having to add an expansion. The people who are not happy about it, can't understand it. But, when someone is selling their home and the water heater is about to go, signs of age, etc, some are leaking, I recommend replacing it. I let the plumber tell them about having to add on an expansion, I am chicken and hate getting an earful since the total will be higher. The plumbers tell me they are used to it from customers.

But, I feel it is only fair to the buyer not to go into something with an expense already looking at them. So far as home inspections it all depends whether they will write it up or not, and as acting as an agent I can't say anything to the seller. The problems which led to this decision of making it mandatory was understandable. I feel it is better for all concerned in the end. The townships needed it and under those conditions , don't you all agree, maybe?
    Last edited by Cookie; 06-01-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Neo Man, I like this look...
    Wow She's Hawt!

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Water does not compress, Air does compress...
    I would hope that you know that...
    But, when you are dealing with idyuts take nothing for granted....
    Your brother seems to be the smart one in the family...
    So, muckraker Einstein, explain the difference in lifespan and relative safety between a tank whose pressure fluctuates from 60 to 149psi by thermal expansion, and one that expands from compression of air from 90 to 175 psi.

And you skipped the question of how many people in your extended family [brothers included] died in a house fire in the last 100 years? Maybe the one that fell asleep with the crack pipe in his mouth on the floor? When the flashover hit, we call it natural selection around here.

I'll never forget a call for a car fire / car accident we were dispatched to late one night
    Thats the best one. Send it to Ralph Nader and in a year you can have a sideline installing sprinkler systems into autos along with all the carmakers. Hey! Whats a few thousand more for that Ford focus when it will save 4 lives a year?

You better quit the volunteer fire force and cuddle up with your 13d book for a good LONG read. You will discover that your silly looped system foisted by Wirsbro won't make the flow test on a REAL inspection.

I installed "selective" sprinkler heads in houses 30 years ago, long before anyone even thought of the concept.

Who is this skunk skin wearing screwball that pulls up "quotes" from people that were never made? Is this the bad brother of redwood?

I hope that skunk or possum skin you are wearing has a fire retardent treatment, lest you get too close to the kitchen stove in a cave without fire sprinklers. [Required by textile code] And Scotchgard it so you can get the blood off when some unshaved women in Boston toss water balloons of it on you.

And be sure when you drink that uranium sump water be sure that you have a backflow valve on the bib [LAW!] so you dont get any dirt into your precious digestive system - might make trouble with that live squirrel you ate from the tail up for lunch that morning. And best that the SPCA not secretly record your eating habits.

Nothing like brekfast that sings to you while you eat - eh? Way better than that crackle and pop from rice crispies...

In case anyone wants to give it a shot, North of Prague CR, there is an old uranium mine that people pay a lot of money to go down into and soak up the radon gas and ambient radioactivity on lounge chairs. I think there is a plumber here and a cro-mag that we should chip in for a LOOONG lounge there. At least it would kill off the lice in the fur.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 06-02-2011 at 01:01 AM.

See, I already know, when I replace my 16 year old maybe, older water heater, I will need to put an expansion tank on. No question on that.
    That makes you the poster child for someone NOT needing an expansion tank. Use the money saved for a great night out.

Muckraker: take close note.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 06-02-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Even PVC pipe saves lives. I personally know of two cases where a fire melted the PVC and the resultant water release put out the fire. One was a fire in the basement and the other was a fire in the garbage can under the sink.
    Funny, thats where all my houses had sprinklers starting 30 years ago. Maybe I got something long before the pipe lobby got involved.