Building 2 curbless doorless showers, need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

crayola32

Reaction score
1st is 58.5" X 45" framed, it has 3 full walls and one wall thats 6'5" tall, the opening is along that wall and is 26" (total width with opening 58.5"). I plan on having a linear drain along this wall all the way across the opening.

2nd is 61.5" X 47.5" framed, it has 3 full walls and one wall thats 6'5" tall, the opening is along that wall and is 28" (total width with opening 61.5"). I plan on having a linear drain along this wall all the way across the opening.

The showerheads on both will be from the ceiling, opposite the opening. The floors will be properly sloped towards the linear drain, and there will be a slight slope from the outside of the shower towards the linear drain at the opening.

Is this sufficient to keep water from splashing out of the opening or over the short wall? I understand some water drops may get out, but I dont want a constant stream of water getting out. Is a ceiling mounted showerhead the best choice for this application?

Diagram (not to scale), shower head marked as "O", it wouldnt let me put in the right wall (connects the top wall to the end of the drain linearly, parallel to the opposite showerhead wall):

(back wall)
X
X O
X
X---drain-----X
******X
(shortwall)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think I'd put the drain on the wall under the showerhead and slope the floor to it. Sloping it out towards the rest of the room also would be problematic if any water made it over the short slope (which might be steep) you planned on that outer side.

crayola32

Reaction score
I think I'd put the drain on the wall under the showerhead and slope the floor to it. Sloping it out towards the rest of the room also would be problematic if any water made it over the short slope (which might be steep) you planned on that outer side.

Thanks for the advice, my issue with your suggestion is that the floor sloping perpendicularly to the opening would result in an unevenness across the opening. The right side of the opening would level with the back side of the shower but as it sloped to the left the left side of the opening would be 1/2 inch higher (assuming 1/4"/ft slope).

Also, this may require a curb since the back height wouldnt be 2" above my drain, its more like 1-1.25". The drain at the opening allows me to pass inspection because its installed per manufacturers specs and they have ICC certifications.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Slope it down from the entry way so it's even across that opening...it was somewhat hard to understand the exact configuration. It should slope at least 1/4" per foot towards the drain.

crayola32

Reaction score
Yes and it needs a 2" height difference from the drain to the highest point per Calif Building Codes. 1/4'/ft requires 8 ft distance to get the 2 inches, I dont have 8ft so I cannot slope it from the entry way to the drain and pass inspection.

Besides how would water splashing near the entrance drain to the drain?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
1/4" per foot is the minimum slope, you can use more (up to a point where it becomes uncomfortable).

You might check www.johnbridge.com and ask your question there.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That 2" would seem to be a requirement for a 'standard' curbed shower. You sure this is also true for an ADA, free access, curbless shower? Might be worth double-checking.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
How is your curbless shower project going?

We have build a number here in Vancouver and currently working on a very upscale level access shower featuring a linear shower drain at the entry. There are a number of ways to achieve your level access bathroom.

What approach have you taken?

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks