(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Clack WS-1 CS Pricing?

Default Clack WS-1 CS Pricing?

Can anyone fill me in on the cost of a Clack WS-1 CS? I have a local dealer quoting me $540 for the valve, bypass, and yoke. This seems overpriced to me as I have seen an entire water softener build by Gary for $622.

Is your local dealer going to be there for you when you have challenges with the unit?

How old is the Gary price of 622.00?

Any time a system is broken down and sold by components it will be more expensive. I believe you will need to order a different outlet manifold with the Clack anyway. It usually is less expensive (per component) to order the whole system and you will have a complete warranty on system. That really is not a bad price for a Clack valve from a local dealer.
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by shanlar View Post
    Can anyone fill me in on the cost of a Clack WS-1 CS? I have a local dealer quoting me $540 for the valve, bypass, and yoke. This seems overpriced to me as I have seen an entire water softener build by Gary for $622.
    As per Clack's contract with all their distributors, they and their dealers are not supposed to sell just a valve; a 'complete system' only.

There is no "yoke" needed or for a Clack valve. There are various sized NPT connectors required.

You live in CA.... prices are higher there for everything.

My price is probably low due to not being 'calculated' recently. That's due to me being out of business since last June when Clack shut off internet sales of their valves. The web site is still 'up' to piss Clack off, plus it is prepaid until next Sept. And 3000-4000 unique visitors a month use the information on the site and the forum and I don't like the idea of preventing that.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    Is your local dealer going to be there for you when you have challenges with the unit?
    The Clack valves are the easiest and quickest to repair on the market. It/they was/were designed to be that way. It is the best design for serviceability also, so it needs service much less often than other valves but when it does it is very easy for a DIYer to repair; and there are no special tools required.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rjh2o View Post
    I believe you will need to order a different outlet manifold with the Clack anyway. It usually is less expensive (per component) to order the whole system and you will have a complete warranty on system. That really is not a bad price for a Clack valve from a local dealer.
    RJ
    "manifold"? Do you mean distributor tube or as some call them a 'riser' tube? The Clack WS1 uses an industry standard 1.05" OD distributor tube.

The warranty is the same no matter who or where you buy it from or if you buy just the valve or a whole softener.

Having sold many valves as a local and internet dealer, for a total of 24 years, IMO the price is high by $100+. But then that is based on my year old wholesale cost.

This local dealer wants to sell me a 2.0 cuft setup with a brine tank for a 1.0 cuft all for $2k. I could buy all the parts online, except the control valve from him, and still be under that price.

He didn't really sound like he knew much about the programming and uses a 3/4" distributor tube for his builds and recommends it over the 1.05" for some odd reason.

The "yoke" was referenced by him when discussing what was included in that price. Another reason to add onto the list of only purchasing a valve from this dealer and nothing else.

Ok so what I am getting is I should be sticking around $440 for this valve. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

PS. Gary if you want to make some extra cash and sell me all of the gear except for the valve let me know!

You can learn about sizing by clicking the link in my signature. You may need a 2.0 cuft.

IIRC you said you had a space limitation, a small (say 11" x 11") salt tank is used in those cases but... the salt tank size isn't based on the size of the softener, it is based on the number of lbs. of salt used per regeneration (regardless the size of the softener).

A 1.05" OD distributor tube is nominally 3/4" ID.

Sorry, I am out of business.