Slow to fill Kohler 1.6 gal

Users who are viewing this thread

kirkemon

Reaction score
After flushing my Kohler is very slow to refill. Water just trickles. When I turn off the supply valve on the line to the toilet, then slowly open it, the water refills normal.
We have hard water, Could there be something clogged?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a Watts Floodsafe water supply, remove it and replace with a normal supply line.

attachment.php

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, it sounds like it could be a FloodSafe kicking in. That said, there were many rentals I lived in where I would deliberately reduce the fill rate on the toilet by partially closing the shutoff cock to prevent a toilet flush from scalding someone in the shower.

Before I replaced both of my 12 year old toilets, I had to disassemble the fill valves on them and clean out the mineral buildup as they were taking longer and longer to refill.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you do not have the infamous Watts FloodSafe, then I would look at the fill valve. You mentioned that you have hard water, so it could be the fill valve has a build up of crud. Depending on the particular valve in the toilet, it might be easier to just replace the valve instead of trying to clean it. But, some Kohler valves are not available in stores and are very expensive from Kohler (sometimes even they don't have them anymore)

kirkemon

Reaction score
I replaced the supply - no difference. :mad:
As I mentioned after I turn off the incoming valve then turn back on, it refills normal.
Maybe I need to replace the whole mechanism?
Thanks for any help.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you have a Watts Floodsafe water supply, remove it and replace with a normal supply line.

attachment.php

That looks like something that should be connected to the back of a TV or Satellite receiver.

No wonder they don't work, a "F" connector is made for RF, Not water.

kirkemon , You said "Maybe I need to replace the whole mechanism?" , I say yes. That would be best.

You may be able to clean them out, but new ones would be better.

Crud may be settling when you turn the supply off, and also removes pressure from the fill valve,
Causing it to work for a short time.

Buy a good one, It is worth the money.

Have a great day.

DonL

P.S. This looks like a good one. > https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...RMANCE-QuietFILL-adjustable-toilet-fill-valve

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks