New trim for dated Delta 600 series Shower Fixture. RP54870

Users who are viewing this thread

jbequss

Reaction score
I have an older (70's/early 80's) Delta shower fixture with the chrome and acrylic ball style handle that appears to be like the current Monitor 13 fixture Delta currently sells. After doing a bath remodel in a tuscany look, I want to incorporate a oil rubbed bronze fixture in the shower but my wife will not have me open up the backside of the wall to install a new valve. The project has dragged on too long.:( Can I install new trims and shower head that will fit the old valve? What will be my biggest challenge?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A call to Delta would give you the info you need. One of the pros here probably knows about what trim may be available. But, if the valve does not have anti-scald technology, and you're doing a remodel, code generally requires you to update the valve to one that has this, which may be a push for your wife. It would protect her, you, maybe the children from potentially getting scalded if there's a hiccup in the pressure by somebody flushing a toilet, etc. while you're in the shower.

Failing that, you can change the valve from the front if you make a bigger hole, then using a remodeling/rennovation plate. Delta, and others, make them in various finishes. The plate covers the bigger hole, and the new valve trim fits on it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If yours is the type that you tip up to turn on, then left or right, that would be a 600. If you just turn it, it could be or 15. That old, probably not 13. The available trims will be limited. Delta doesn't make that stuff anymore, but aftermarket and licensees do. Chrome is available. Other finishes....maybe.

Post a pic of the the escutcheon, and behind the escutcheon'

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The major problem with getting updated trims is the location of the bolt holes. ALL the new ones have the holes diagonally at the lower left and upper right locations. The older ones have both of them at the bottom. In addition, the size of the center opening varies according to which model it is. Your chances of finding ORB trim may border on the impossible, unless you take yours to a replating shop.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
You have a 600 series just like I do.

I think Delta even makes something as well,......I could be wrong.
Type in 'renovation kit' for Delta 600 series shower faucet.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbequss

Reaction score
I think you might be on to something here, Marc46. This is just what mine looks like. I like some of the othe options as well. This gives me some hope. Thanks to all for info.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta_rp54870.jpg

This is a nice kit to update with.
RP54870

delta_rp54870_finished.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I needed to repair my shower/tub valve. I had the antique brass trim, and at that time I found that that trim color was discontinued. I ended up replacing the entire valve with a new one that had scald control and volume control. I think it is a model 1700 (not positive) My wife really likes the volume control and both of like the scald control. Best of both worlds.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gary,
Something like this?

This new Linden Delta trim with pressure balance replaced the old swivel up and down acrylic knob.
I was able to sawzall out the old valve, head the bits still left on the copper pipe, pull them off and clean the pipe for reuse.

delta_linden_1.jpg

This entailed removing the old Delta valve and installing a new rough valve in the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
rp54870-01.jpg

With the new parts.
I didn't have much luck with heating the bonnet, but tapping it with pliers loosened things up. If you use too much muscle, you can bend the three copper tubes between the body and the valving portion.

rp54870-02.jpg

With the new parts in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks