Pros-need your input on Toto installation for tight area

Users who are viewing this thread

Petal

Reaction score
petal_2.jpg

petal_1.jpg

Thanks to your help on another thread I've narrowed my choice of a new Toto down to Guinevere, Soiree, Vespin II, or Aquia III. They're all ADA skirted models and as you can see in the photos it's a tight spot. The toilet cannot be relocated due to the location of the floor joists and that's an exterior wall to the side. I know that this is going to make it very difficult to install, especially when it comes to tightening the closet bolts on the wall side. If you saw this, would you run screaming? Would one of my choices be easier than another when it comes to installation in such a tight location? I'm really liking the Soiree, but think it might be near impossible to get in there to tighten the bolts because of the wide base. There's only 2 1/2 inches between the wall and the rim of the bowl. I'd hate to get my heart (and derriere :eek:) set on one, buy it and find they can't get it in there!! I know you plumbers have loads of tricks and tools to help in situations like this- do I have an impossible dream or do you think I'm good to go with one or any of my choices? Thanks for your help!

And yes- that toilet roll holder has got to go!!! The toilet there now is a round front and we have to sit sort of sideways to avoid bumping it with our leg :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The big problem here is the space you are using for the toilet is not up to code. Code requires at least a 30" wide space (15" each side) Just eying the photo would indicate much less than that. I know of no toilets that are made to fit in space less than legal. About the only thing I can think of is call a contractor to see what he can come up with that would move the toilet over.

Petal

Reaction score
This house was built in 1947- the bath is tiny tiny tiny. And the photo above is what it looks like from underneath. To the left of the toilet is a door. There really is no place to move it to and the stack as you can see is right under it. I don't have the money to gut the entire bathroom and redo and even if I did, there's still no room to move the things in the bathroom around. The footprint of floor space in there is only 5x5 and as you can see the joists run parallel to the toilet. In fact, when the contractor remodeled the kitchen below he had to repair that joist (the new lumber you see around the stack) because a plumber years ago had cut into it and weakened it when he repaired the drain line from the tub that you can see attached to the stack on the right. I hope this doesn't mean I'm screwed trying to get a new toilet installed. We really need that ADA height.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you can drop the Soiree in there.
All you have to do on the right side is snug up one nut. It doesn't even have to be all that tight.

But I am concerned about the water supply on the left.
Where is that coming from?

Petal

Reaction score
That supply line comes up from the basement through a wall in the kitchen, then runs under the floor and up into the floor of the bathroom.

Petal

Reaction score
Here's a photo of the before- you can see the pipes next to the heating duct. Both were moved to the wall behind the contractors red cart...they go up that wall, across the floor/ceiling and up to the bathroom.

I added two more photos to give you a better idea of the supply pipe location. I placed the tip of the yardstick at the middle of the back of the toilet so the measurement is about 7 inches from the midline of the toilet there now, from the wall the pipe is 5 1/2" on center.

Petal

Reaction score
Thank you SO much Terry- what a relief! The more I look at the Soiree the more I like it- can't wait to see it "in person" at the showroom next week and even more, can't wait to see it in my bathroom!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks