(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Can you explain this problem!!?? No water!

Default Can you explain this problem!!?? No water!

Hello all. I recently replaced my whole house water pressure regulator, as I had checked the city main pressure and found it to be over 120 LBS. I replaced the regulator that was already installed in the same location, mounted on the house approximately 40' from the water meter.

After I replaced it, I adjusted it to 55 LBS at the hose bib near the regulator. It worked great, until the next morning when I discovered there was no water in the house at any of the faucets or showers or kitchen. But the the toilets flushed and the tanks filled up no problem. All the outside hose bibs worked, at 55 LBS pressure!!

There was a ball valve after the regulator and before a 90 that tees into the wall to supply the house, via the attic. There is also a hose bib on this line past this 90. I took this apart and the ball was was corroded closed. I replaced this and all worked fine...

Until today!! Same problem. Toilets flush, hose bibs work, but no water to the inside of the house....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

I need a shower!!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-20-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Do the tub spouts work?
    Check and clean aerators on faucets and low flow shower heads.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-20-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Any time you shut the water off, then refill the lines, any crud on the insides of the pipes can break loose and plug up the screens on either the inlets or outlets of fixtures. this is more problematic if your pipes are galvanized iron, and when they age, the coating gets compromised and there can be a lot of rust. The hose bibs have a large, unobstructed outlet, so anything loose in there just gets flushed out, and doesn't plug it up.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Ok, thanks for the replies. The house is 21 years old and has copper pipe. No faucet or shower inside the house works. But the toilets do! I checked the screens on a couple faucets and they were clear. Just strange that outside and toilets get water, but nothing else!!

Do you have a water softener? In some cases the toilets and outside faucets are connected before a softener, so you could have a failed unit.