How much for a new 240v outlet? (800??)

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
Got a quote of 800 to install a new 240v outlet for a water heater.

I'd read around and was expecting something in the 200-300 dollar range more or less. This guy hasn't seen the home or asked a single question so he's probably one of those guys that puts in crazy high bids because he doesn't want the work, but if you'll pay his price he'll go out and do it.

Assuming the panel has space and the service can handle it. The home is about 750 square feet, the panel is on the front right side and the outlet needs to be in the rear right side. The home is 25x30. The water heater says it needs 10 gauge wiring on a 30 amp circuit. The crawl space underneath is high enough to get under and crawl around pretty easily.

Any thoughts in general on how much something like this should cost?

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
It is hard to say, but I doubt you would get it done for $200.

If you were to do yourself:

-100' of 10-2 wire ~$120 retail around here (50' might work depending on the run)
- staples
- basic tools
- 30A breaker
- might need junction box and flex conduit (depending on what inspector wants to see)
- permit probably needs to be pulled
- sales tax
- etc.

Although an electrician can buy this stuff cheaper than you can, the reality is that these materials probably add up to more than you think. You also have to figure that he might have to spend a couple hours crawling around and some spots might be tough to access. It also depends if he has a clear shot from the panel to the crawl space (unfinished area). If the panel area is finished, it will take more time (and $$$) as he has to fish the wire through the wall.

You have to figure that it might cost $200-$300 to do yourself between the materials, tools, and permit. Then you have to consider the labor and travel time (trip charge) (the contractor has a lot of overhead between insurance, salaries, tools, training, etc.).

Your best bet is to contact a few other guys and pick one that is somewhere in the middle.

PM5K

Reaction score
Sounds like you're saying he's not as far off as I thought. 50 should definitely work, it's 30 across so that leaves ten on each end for wiring in the panel, and at the outlet. Work wise, seriously it couldn't be any easier as far as obstructions, etc.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
To be honest, the contractor needs to make a living wage. I've got my HVAC guy on speed dial, I get a discount because I throw him a fair amount of work.
As such, I deal is that I pay him $50 per hour no questions asked. He does not have to waist time doing estimates or wondering if he's got the job. If he shows up he works... Done deal.

So perhaps that may be a option, look show up work if he needs materials you'll play fetch, but have the basics on site...
I've done so much of this work for myself I find it hard to see whats needed
Michael

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Good luck with that. Prices can vary somewhat greatly from one part of the country to the next.
Around here real electricians and plumbers who are looking for work get 3 times that.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
As I mentioned, you just have to get a couple quotes. That is the only way to know what the going rate for the job is in your area. Labor rates vary with location. In most cases, I could see a sparky charging somewhere in the $100/hr range, but could be much higher or lower depending on the area.

Then you have the permit. In my area, the cost of the permit is based on a % of the total cost of the job. In other areas, I've seen a flat rate. For instance, some places may want say $100 or $200 for an electrical permit whether is is adding a single outlet or something large like a service upgrade or whole-house rewire.

It may seem like a quick/easy job (and it could be), but there could be things that we can't see that makes the job more difficult. Also, most guys don't have the extra time to be driving around to give free estimates (especially on these smaller jobs). About the best they can do is give a rough cost over the phone. Most times, the free estimates are just a waste of time and gas as people tend to shop aound until they can find the cheapest guy to do it.

You might be best off seeing if you can have it done for time & materials instead of a fixed price. This way, they don't have to pad the fixed price in case other challenges pop up. The disadvantage is you won't know the total cost until they are done, but they can probably give you a ballpark estimate based on the amount of time they think it will take.

If things still are too expensive, you could grab a roll of 10-2, staple it yourself, and leave plenty of excess on each end and let the sparky make the final connections. Probably won't save you much, but might help a little.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would not even put the key in the ignition of my truck for $50.00 per hour. But he is probably a "flat rate" electrician, and like "flat rate plumbers", his price anticipates the worst job. If it is even badder than that he loses money, but he is banking on it being much simpler so he makes a good profit.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Kill two birds with one stone

Kill two birds with one stone.

Call the Inspector and get his bid, let him do it.

Or DIY...

Have a Great, Last day of the World, Will miss you all.

DonL

P.S. Party Hardy

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I guess you don't read the foreclosure notices that fill your newspaper.

Contractors here dont even have their trucks anymore, and would be happy to start their family van with the tools in it for 15 bucks an hour.

Or trade for food. I can buy a new empty house for less than the cost of materials.

Local builders 'spec' house - 1.6 million asking in 08..... today, $398,000 - owner financed. Less than materials, likely.

Lowes has some good advice in electrical and plumbing- they are FORCED retiree's from the trades.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Call the Inspector and get his bid, let him do it.

Do you have inspectors who ALSO do installations? Sounds like a conflict of interest unless there are other inspectors to check his work. I guess not. I HAVE my own truck, with tools in it, in fact I traded in my old one for it last month, and I will NOT start it for $50, so I guess $15 is also out of the question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks