Shower lighting question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I am having an ICAT recessed 6" can put into my bath/shower area. It will have a shower trim over that. What is the largest Par30 watt bulb a person can put in that type of enclosure? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Inside every one I've seen, there is a label that clearly states the acceptable lamps it can accommodate...so, take a look and heed the manufacturer's instructions. They aren't all created equal, so you need to read the instructions on YOUR fixture. Also note, there may be a difference when using an enclosed trim verses just a reflector, so make sure to read carefully, or find it on the manufacturer's website for that model.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
By law, the largest PAR 30 bulb you will find is 75 watts. your fixture is probably rated for 75, but check it. Too much heat in an IC fixture and your light will be bleeping out on you.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I like this, by law. What kind of a country are we starting to get where they dictate by law what lights you can put into something. All I know is that I will never have a CFL in my house. I have read too many negative things about the kind of electricity they produce and the bad crap they have inside. Lets save on electricity but lets cause more problems with CFLs. When I found my can inside it said Par30 max was 75 watt halogen and but I am using and 70 halogen/xenon combination which puts out more lumens than your standard 75.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The max wattage is I believe a rating that limits the heat these fixtures can produce. In the shower you often have a solid cover with some sort of seal. To much light can generate to much heat and cause a fire concern.

Many of these rough in's can be IC rated which means they are fine for Insulated Ceilings. Make sure you use the right bulb and insulate the proper way around the rough in.

Good Luck.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Quotte; All I know is that I will never have a CFL in my house.

In that case, be prepared to stock up on candles, because when California's NO incandescent bulb law becomes effective, it will just about eliminate anything BUT cfl's, because as CA goes, so goes the country, but then other states are already following their lead. The last USA produced 100 watt bulb was recently made aand then the plant shut down.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
One way around the incandescent bulb mandate, is to sell the bulbs as low wattage heaters.

This is being done in locations where the bulbs have been regulated....
When I was in college the motorcycle I had was hard to start when it was cold, my solution was to put a 15 watt bulb between the carbortors against the cylinder bank.
Michael

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
You will have to show it to me where it says this because there is no law out there that says this. I will buy hundreds of incandescent lights and stock up until LEDs come down in price. I just bought 2 150 watt halogen bulbs plus another couple 100 watt ones also.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You will have to show it to me where it says this because there is no law out there that says this. I will buy hundreds of incandescent lights and stock up until LEDs come down in price. I just bought 2 150 watt halogen bulbs plus another couple 100 watt ones also.
You can continue to buy them, that isn't the issue...it is becoming illegal to make any more. Except for specialty bulbs, expect them to be harder and harder to find as the supplies get used up.

A recessed can generally has a thermostatically controlled switch that will shut the power off if it gets too hot. So, the bulb size recommendations are those that will prevent it from overheating. SO, yes, you can put a larger bulb in, but expect it to go out periodically, then turn back on when the whole thing cools off, then go out again...to avoid that, abide by their recommendations.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I am not going to put in a larger bulb than it calls for. I have light fixtures that can take 300 watts and I want to use all 300 watts. If the can calls for 75 than that's all I will use. Where do you find it that it is illegal to make incandescent bulbs?

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I may be misunderstanding everyone. Are you saying that incandescent bulbs will become illegal? If so, that is not true. If you are not saying that then I will leave it at that. Here is what is actually happening and I am sure that is what you guys are trying to tell me. The law does not outlaw incandescent bulbs or dictate that consumers must use the spiral-shaped compact fluorescent lights that have become increasingly popular in recent years. Rather, it sets standards for the amount of light emitted per watt of power used. Current 100-watt bulbs must become 25 percent more efficient, and makers are designing new bulbs.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
They've been trying to make incandescents more efficient for the last 100+ years...so, effectively, the larger sizes will not be made anymore. CA HAS legislated them as illegal, and as goes CA, so, eventually, goes the rest of the country.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I just read this article.
The new standard actually comes as part of the federal Energy Independence and Security Act, which was signed into law by President George W Bush in 2007.

The rest of the country will adopt the standard on January 1, 2012, but California has been given the authority to begin a year early.

Designed to reduce energy use and associated pollution, while improving US energy security, the new standard requires that 100-watt bulbs made on or after January 1, 2011, must use 28% less energy, while providing the same amount of light. Effectively, this means 100W bulbs being replaced by 72W bulbs that are just as bright.

The California Energy Commission said that the new standard would avoid the sale of around 10.5 million inefficient 100W light bulbs in California during 2011, saving consumers $35.6 million in lower electricity bills.

Reducing energy use in California also results in improved environmental quality by avoiding the construction of new power plants and air pollution from burning fossil fuels, the Commission said.

The inefficiency in standard incandescent light bulbs comes because about 90% of the electricity used by the bulbs is converted into heat, rather than visible light.

More efficient halogen, compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs work to convert more of their power into light.

The Commission said the new standard was technology neutral, allowing consumers to choose among a variety of high-performance products for their replacement lighting. Additionally, it does not affect the existing supply of incandescent light bulbs stocked in retail stores or incandescent light bulbs already in use.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most of the incandescent bulbs we are familiar with CANNOT be made to work using 28% less energy, thus they will no longer be made.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks