Trying to connect drain tailpipe to the trap in a bathroom sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

slinky

Reaction score
I had to replace the pop up sink stopper in the bathroom, the tailpipe
is rusted and needs to be replaced as well, the trap looks ok, don't want to
try to remove as I am afraid of damaging the pipes, trying to fit a pipe wrench
in there isn't easy.

Photo #1 is the part that I need to replace,(1 inch in diameter).
It is rusted and leaking.

I went twice to the hardware store and both were too big(1 3/8) (1 1/4).
Even with an extra gasket it wasn't a straight fit. They told me that is the smallest
size that they have(1 1/4) for the tail piece.

I already installed the new pop up under the sink as well as a small extension pipe underneath. How do I go about finishing this? Thanks in advance.

slinky_lav1.jpg

slinky_lav2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
1 inch is an odd size. Are you sure about that?
Normal is 1-1/4 down from the bathroom sink, and then 1-1/2" into the wall.

I would recomend removing the existing P-Trap and and putting a 45 degree elbow near the wall so that the new p-trap would line up under the sink.
Michael
Sac City Plumbing

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The trap appears to be 1 1/2" and the drain's tailpiece WILL BE 1 1/4" O.D. We cannot tell you exactly HOW to get from one to the other because it depends on the various measurements. That "offset" is NOT the ideal way to do it because it is somewhat "fragile" and come apart or displace easily if it gets bumped or pushed.

slinky

Reaction score
You are right, it was 1 1/4. I removed the chrome trap, cleaned it, put a rag where the pipe sticks out of the wall, it looks clogged up, not sure if I have to clean that also.
I will take the old trap to the hardware store tomorrow, can I work with PVC now? first install the elbow, then the new trap to the bottom stem of the pop up. I have a Durst A236C
chrome plated brass pop up. I rather not have to cut anything if possible.

slinky

Reaction score
The trap appears to be 1 1/2" and the drain's tailpiece WILL BE 1 1/4" O.D. We cannot tell you exactly HOW to get from one to the other because it depends on the various measurements. That "offset" is NOT the ideal way to do it because it is somewhat "fragile" and come apart or displace easily if it gets bumped or pushed.

By offset you mean that piece that is under the pop up drain, it is hand tightened. I understand what you are saying about it getting easily displaced. At least now I know the
right measurements and I have no choice but to replace the pop up drain(which I did already) and tailpiece which were both rusted and add a new P trap as well. If I run into
problems I will have to call a plumber. All I can do is try my best being the simpleton that I am.

slinky

Reaction score
Sighs, I will be going back to the hardware store tomorrow. Reinstalled the same P trap and they advised me to buy a plastic 1-1/4 flexible slip joint
extension, 8 inch length is a tad bit too short, need a "10" or a "12". It's a lot easier when it's not misaligned. I am going to replace both shut off valves
from the supply lines as they leaked a little when I was turning them off and on.

I do have a pack of new sponges as well as a mop and bucket just in case. To be continued..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pick up a trap that swivels and a 45 and move the p-trap over to the drain, and use a solid tailpiece.
The accordion plastic piping is hack.

lav-traps-wrong-right.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Flexible" tailpieces are NOT an approved method. They may be the most UNSANITARY item you can use, and should never have been allowed to be produced in the first place.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe you should go to the auto parts store and get a radiator hose and some hose clamps. Whatever you do, do not call a plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Gary, I hope you had your fingers and legs firmly crossed with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek when you wrote that advice. I also hope you realize that there are probably SOME people who would do just that and say, "But Gary said it was okay to do it".

slinky

Reaction score
I would pick up a trap that swivels and a 45 and move the p-trap over to the drain, and use a solid tailpiece.
The accordion plastic piping is hack.

Thanks Terry, that makes sense. Going to look for and buy the parts tomorrow. 1 45 elbow, 1 PVC P-trap. The bottom of the pop up drain piece is too short to reach the P-Trap, so
I will use a chrome extension tailpiece. The issue isn't just the misalignment but the height difference as well. I returned that flexible tailpiece that they sold me a few days ago.
Thanks for the slinky avatar!

it's still going to be short after the swivel p trap is installed, maybe the elbow will help.
pop up drain installed hand tight only with plumbers putty on top.

this is the tailpiece extension which should be longer.
this one didn't fit the "1" inch hole on top of the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks