Kitchen Faucet Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Underwater

Reaction score
I am replacing a 2 year old Moen kitchen faucet (for the second time) and vow not to see if the third time is a charm. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model pull out kitchen faucet in the $175-$250 range?

I saw a Hansgrohe model at Costco but not sure if it is made special for them to lower specs.

Thanks in advance!!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Can you say Delta. In my opinion Delta has a much better product then Moen.

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I saw a Hansgrohe model at Costco but not sure if it is made special for them to lower specs.

!!

bearinthewoods-1.jpg

The answer to both questions is YES.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first question would be WHY are you replacing the faucet in the first place, especially twice in two years. Normally you only replace a Moen, Delta, or Price Pfister faucet when you get tired of looking at it. However, when it comes to kitchen faucets my preferences are Price Pfister, Delta, and then Moen, in that order.

Underwater

Reaction score
The first question would be WHY are you replacing the faucet in the first place, especially twice in two years. Normally you only replace a Moen, Delta, or Price Pfister faucet when you get tired of looking at it. However, when it comes to kitchen faucets my preferences are Price Pfister, Delta, and then Moen, in that order.

First Moen was in previous house. I bought it because it had a built in filter. About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge. I replaced that and it still leaked. Moen at first refused to do anything about it. But I thought that I should get more than 14 or 15 months out if it so after much arguing they finally agreed to replace it with a non-filtered model.

In the next house, I somehow forgot my bad experience with Moen of a few years before and bought another one. Same thing....1 or 2 months after the warranty expired the cartridge began to leak AND the handle is all messed up as well.

I can't do the work myself so I need a plumber to fix the thing and if I am going to spend money on a new cartridge and fixing the handle of a piece of junk, I rather just get rid of it, start over with something fresh and be done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge.

How does a "lifetime" guaranty "expire"? In fact, if the faucet cannot be repaired, Moen will send me a new faucet.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
quote; About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge.

How does a "lifetime" guaranty "expire"? In fact, if the faucet cannot be repaired, Moen will send me a new faucet.

So would Delta, but with a much less chance of failing in the first place.

Underwater

Reaction score

I am only going on what the plumber who sold me the faucet said. I will go back and check the documentation. But regardless, I still have to pay a trip charge and labor to remover and again to reinstall. I am not sure I want to go a third time with Moen even if the hardware is free. A free replacement still costs me money. Excluding Moen, is Delta the next best choice? What about Kohler? I've seen some negative posts on their faucets.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All of these things eventually, will need repair parts. Kohler is the worst on consistent design...they change their stuff frequently, and getting parts can sometimes be a very time-consuming and potentially costly proposition. Most of the rest of the companies only make minor internal changes, and parts are usually easy to get, and inexpensive (if you have to pay for them, many have long, or even lifetime warranties).

I don't know your personal situation, but replacing a faucet isn't all that hard. Certainly, a pro should be able to do it faster, and in some places, the law requires a pro, but the actual installation, especially on one that isn't too old and corroded, should be quick and easy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; But regardless, I still have to pay a trip charge and labor to remover and again to reinstall

It would be ONE trip charge to remove the old faucet and install the new one which Moen has already sent you. They DO NOT want the old one back FIRST, and in fact, they do not want the old one back EVER. I once had a customer who felt the same way, so after I sold them a new faucet and installed it, I threw the old one in the scrap bin, and installed the replacement on my sink.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, I wondered the same thing. That said, "Buy it for looks. Buy it for life!" is just a slogan and I've had to replace major components in my Moen kitchen faucet more than once in 12 years. Moen has always been good about replacing the parts for free but if I had to pay a plumber to do the work, I would have it ripped out and another brand installed.

decorisland

Reaction score
I am replacing a 2 year old Moen kitchen faucet (for the second time) and vow not to see if the third time is a charm. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model pull out kitchen faucet in the $175-$250 range?

Thanks in advance!!

Have you tried an online store? Decor Island carries various kitchen and bathroom appliances, including faucets, bathtubs, showers, and whirlpools. Their kitchen faucets double bowl can give you a lot of space to work with in the kitchen as well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I put a Delta pull-out kitchen faucet in my mother's house. It's been about two years, works and looks good. Used the extra hole in the sink for a soap dispenser.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I am only going on what the plumber who sold me the faucet said. I will go back and check the documentation

Call the manufacturer, not the plumber. He wants to SELL you a new faucet, not install a free replacemnt.

Higgledy

Reaction score
I am replacing my Delta kitchen faucet, it is really old and just worn out. Is their a difference in quality between the Delta/Moen products sold at the big box stores vs. a plumbing supply stores? I have not checked prices with the plumbing supply, but nothing at Lowes is more than $250. Most prices are are around $100 something has to be different. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The box stores sometimes carry something similar with a different model number. We tend to find more plastic in those.
I've also seen boxes that have been returned and put back on the shelf. Sometimes with old parts in them.
It's really frustrating to be supplied a faucet by a homeowner and then find that it leaks, a swapped cartridge in a new faucet.

Higgledy

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. That must be frustrating.
Do I wait till Monday to buy something from the local plumbing supply or buy from a big box today? The current faucet won't turn off. It is a Delta, single handle. I think the pin broke off because it's handle spins (360). Is that repairable? I would have hired a plumber but it broke as I was leaving for work yesterday morning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks