(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchen Faucet Advice

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I put a Delta pull-out kitchen faucet in my mother's house. It's been about two years, works and looks good. Used the extra hole in the sink for a soap dispenser.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

quote; I am only going on what the plumber who sold me the faucet said. I will go back and check the documentation

Call the manufacturer, not the plumber. He wants to SELL you a new faucet, not install a free replacemnt.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I am replacing my Delta kitchen faucet, it is really old and just worn out. Is their a difference in quality between the Delta/Moen products sold at the big box stores vs. a plumbing supply stores? I have not checked prices with the plumbing supply, but nothing at Lowes is more than $250. Most prices are are around $100 something has to be different. Thanks.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The box stores sometimes carry something similar with a different model number. We tend to find more plastic in those.
    I've also seen boxes that have been returned and put back on the shelf. Sometimes with old parts in them.
    It's really frustrating to be supplied a faucet by a homeowner and then find that it leaks, a swapped cartridge in a new faucet.

Thanks Terry. That must be frustrating.
    Do I wait till Monday to buy something from the local plumbing supply or buy from a big box today? The current faucet won't turn off. It is a Delta, single handle. I think the pin broke off because it's handle spins (360). Is that repairable? I would have hired a plumber but it broke as I was leaving for work yesterday morning.

I also need to replace the shut off valves under my kitchen sink. It's copper pipe and I am good at soldering. I bought two 1/4 turn valves made by Keeney. Do I remove the guts of the valve prior to soldering? I know with other valves the heat will destroy the rubber gasket, but I don't about this valve. Thanks.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

The biggest problem with the box stores is that they continue to FAIL to prevent shelf merchandise from being "tampered" with, and to keep returns , which clearly have been opened and " fiddled" with, from being restocked as new on the shelf. The theory is always sell more by being "user friendly", and let the chips fall where they may. The basic "guts" are almost always the same. You will find a plastic drain assembly in a lav, for example, where at a supply house you can order all plastic, 50/50, or all metal. Your choice. They sometimes carry a model which is exclusive to that store. That is usually just slightly different handles, so they can have a proprietary model name.

The debate about whether the manufacturers pawn-off "seconds" or factory rejects, onto the box stores.....well that will continue longer than Diane Feinstein vs. the NRA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The biggest problem with the box stores is that they continue to FAIL to prevent shelf merchandise from being "tampered" with, and to keep returns , which clearly have been opened and " fiddled" with, from being restocked as new on the shelf. The theory is always sell more by being "user friendly", and let the chips fall where they may. The basic "guts" are almost always the same. You will find a plastic drain assembly in a lav, for example, where at a supply house you can order all plastic, 50/50, or all metal. Your choice. They sometimes carry a model which is exclusive to that store. That is usually just slightly different handles, so they can have a proprietary model name.

The debate about whether the manufacturers pawn-off "seconds" or factory rejects, onto the box stores.....well that will continue longer than Diane Feinstein vs. the NRA!!!

Thanks for your insight on faucets. BTW, Let's hope Feinstein loses!