(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Kitchen Faucet Advice

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member Underwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7

    Default Kitchen Faucet Advice

    I am replacing a 2 year old Moen kitchen faucet (for the second time) and vow not to see if the third time is a charm. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model pull out kitchen faucet in the $175-$250 range?

    I saw a Hansgrohe model at Costco but not sure if it is made special for them to lower specs.

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Can you say Delta. In my opinion Delta has a much better product then Moen.

    John

  3. #3
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
    I saw a Hansgrohe model at Costco but not sure if it is made special for them to lower specs.

    !!


    The answer to both questions is YES.

  4. #4
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,638

    Default

    The first question would be WHY are you replacing the faucet in the first place, especially twice in two years. Normally you only replace a Moen, Delta, or Price Pfister faucet when you get tired of looking at it. However, when it comes to kitchen faucets my preferences are Price Pfister, Delta, and then Moen, in that order.

  5. #5
    DIY Junior Member Underwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The first question would be WHY are you replacing the faucet in the first place, especially twice in two years. Normally you only replace a Moen, Delta, or Price Pfister faucet when you get tired of looking at it. However, when it comes to kitchen faucets my preferences are Price Pfister, Delta, and then Moen, in that order.
    First Moen was in previous house. I bought it because it had a built in filter. About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge. I replaced that and it still leaked. Moen at first refused to do anything about it. But I thought that I should get more than 14 or 15 months out if it so after much arguing they finally agreed to replace it with a non-filtered model.

    In the next house, I somehow forgot my bad experience with Moen of a few years before and bought another one. Same thing....1 or 2 months after the warranty expired the cartridge began to leak AND the handle is all messed up as well.

    I can't do the work myself so I need a plumber to fix the thing and if I am going to spend money on a new cartridge and fixing the handle of a piece of junk, I rather just get rid of it, start over with something fresh and be done.

  6. #6
    Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Land of Cheese
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    I put a Delta "Kate" pull-down in our kitchen and have been very happy with it.

  7. #7
    In the Trades Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,940

    Default

    6 votes for Delta.

  8. #8
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,638

    Default

    quote; About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge.

    How does a "lifetime" guaranty "expire"? In fact, if the faucet cannot be repaired, Moen will send me a new faucet.

  9. #9
    Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge.

    How does a "lifetime" guaranty "expire"? In fact, if the faucet cannot be repaired, Moen will send me a new faucet.
    So would Delta, but with a much less chance of failing in the first place.

  10. #10
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,638

    Default

    So have Price Pfister and Kohler at various times, along with Delta and Moen.

  11. #11
    DIY Junior Member Underwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge.

    How does a "lifetime" guaranty "expire"? In fact, if the faucet cannot be repaired, Moen will send me a new faucet.
    I am only going on what the plumber who sold me the faucet said. I will go back and check the documentation. But regardless, I still have to pay a trip charge and labor to remover and again to reinstall. I am not sure I want to go a third time with Moen even if the hardware is free. A free replacement still costs me money. Excluding Moen, is Delta the next best choice? What about Kohler? I've seen some negative posts on their faucets.

    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-21-2011 at 09:08 AM.

  12. #12
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,401

    Default

    All of these things eventually, will need repair parts. Kohler is the worst on consistent design...they change their stuff frequently, and getting parts can sometimes be a very time-consuming and potentially costly proposition. Most of the rest of the companies only make minor internal changes, and parts are usually easy to get, and inexpensive (if you have to pay for them, many have long, or even lifetime warranties).

    I don't know your personal situation, but replacing a faucet isn't all that hard. Certainly, a pro should be able to do it faster, and in some places, the law requires a pro, but the actual installation, especially on one that isn't too old and corroded, should be quick and easy.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  13. #13
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,638

    Default

    quote; But regardless, I still have to pay a trip charge and labor to remover and again to reinstall

    It would be ONE trip charge to remove the old faucet and install the new one which Moen has already sent you. They DO NOT want the old one back FIRST, and in fact, they do not want the old one back EVER. I once had a customer who felt the same way, so after I sold them a new faucet and installed it, I threw the old one in the scrap bin, and installed the replacement on my sink.

  14. #14
    DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    How does a "lifetime" guaranty "expire"? In fact, if the faucet cannot be repaired, Moen will send me a new faucet.
    Ja, I wondered the same thing. That said, "Buy it for looks. Buy it for life!" is just a slogan and I've had to replace major components in my Moen kitchen faucet more than once in 12 years. Moen has always been good about replacing the parts for free but if I had to pay a plumber to do the work, I would have it ripped out and another brand installed.

  15. #15
    DIY Junior Member decorisland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    1

    Default Kitchen Faucet Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
    I am replacing a 2 year old Moen kitchen faucet (for the second time) and vow not to see if the third time is a charm. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model pull out kitchen faucet in the $175-$250 range?

    I saw a Hansgrohe model at Costco but not sure if it is made special for them to lower specs.

    Thanks in advance!!

    Have you tried an online store? Decor Island carries various kitchen and bathroom appliances, including faucets, bathtubs, showers, and whirlpools. Their kitchen faucets double bowl can give you a lot of space to work with in the kitchen as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Need advice on buying a new kitchen faucet
    By seschroll in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 05:06 PM
  2. bathroom faucet and kitchen faucet have low pressure
    By aprylreign in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 10:55 PM
  3. High End Kitchen Faucet Advice
    By tkohn in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 02:46 AM
  4. Need advice on new kitchen sink drains...
    By Kansasteacher in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 06:51 AM
  5. Need advice re Kitchen Water Pressure
    By shlittle in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •