(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen Faucet Advice

Hybrid View

Default Kitchen Faucet Advice

I am replacing a 2 year old Moen kitchen faucet (for the second time) and vow not to see if the third time is a charm. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model pull out kitchen faucet in the $175-$250 range?

I saw a Hansgrohe model at Costco but not sure if it is made special for them to lower specs.

Thanks in advance!!

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Can you say Delta. In my opinion Delta has a much better product then Moen.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
    I saw a Hansgrohe model at Costco but not sure if it is made special for them to lower specs.

!!

The answer to both questions is YES.

The first question would be WHY are you replacing the faucet in the first place, especially twice in two years. Normally you only replace a Moen, Delta, or Price Pfister faucet when you get tired of looking at it. However, when it comes to kitchen faucets my preferences are Price Pfister, Delta, and then Moen, in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The first question would be WHY are you replacing the faucet in the first place, especially twice in two years. Normally you only replace a Moen, Delta, or Price Pfister faucet when you get tired of looking at it. However, when it comes to kitchen faucets my preferences are Price Pfister, Delta, and then Moen, in that order.
    First Moen was in previous house. I bought it because it had a built in filter. About a month after the warranty expired, it began to leak and I was told it needed a new cartridge. I replaced that and it still leaked. Moen at first refused to do anything about it. But I thought that I should get more than 14 or 15 months out if it so after much arguing they finally agreed to replace it with a non-filtered model.

In the next house, I somehow forgot my bad experience with Moen of a few years before and bought another one. Same thing....1 or 2 months after the warranty expired the cartridge began to leak AND the handle is all messed up as well.

I can't do the work myself so I need a plumber to fix the thing and if I am going to spend money on a new cartridge and fixing the handle of a piece of junk, I rather just get rid of it, start over with something fresh and be done.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I put a Delta "Kate" pull-down in our kitchen and have been very happy with it.

6 votes for Delta.

Default Kitchen Faucet Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
    I am replacing a 2 year old Moen kitchen faucet (for the second time) and vow not to see if the third time is a charm. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model pull out kitchen faucet in the $175-$250 range?

Thanks in advance!!

Have you tried an online store? Decor Island carries various kitchen and bathroom appliances, including faucets, bathtubs, showers, and whirlpools. Their kitchen faucets double bowl can give you a lot of space to work with in the kitchen as well.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I put a Delta pull-out kitchen faucet in my mother's house. It's been about two years, works and looks good. Used the extra hole in the sink for a soap dispenser.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

quote; I am only going on what the plumber who sold me the faucet said. I will go back and check the documentation

Call the manufacturer, not the plumber. He wants to SELL you a new faucet, not install a free replacemnt.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I am replacing my Delta kitchen faucet, it is really old and just worn out. Is their a difference in quality between the Delta/Moen products sold at the big box stores vs. a plumbing supply stores? I have not checked prices with the plumbing supply, but nothing at Lowes is more than $250. Most prices are are around $100 something has to be different. Thanks.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The box stores sometimes carry something similar with a different model number. We tend to find more plastic in those.
    I've also seen boxes that have been returned and put back on the shelf. Sometimes with old parts in them.
    It's really frustrating to be supplied a faucet by a homeowner and then find that it leaks, a swapped cartridge in a new faucet.

Thanks Terry. That must be frustrating.
    Do I wait till Monday to buy something from the local plumbing supply or buy from a big box today? The current faucet won't turn off. It is a Delta, single handle. I think the pin broke off because it's handle spins (360). Is that repairable? I would have hired a plumber but it broke as I was leaving for work yesterday morning.