Manifold size vs Supply size

Users who are viewing this thread

Garfield

semi-pro
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post here.

I am doing a gut/remodel of a house built in 1942 or so. I have ripped out all the galvanized supply piping and will replace it with PEX.

The water supply into the house and out of the meter is brand new 3/4" copper. My manifolds have 1" input and 1/2" valve outputs (10 hot/12 cold.)

Which makes more sense:(from a flow point of view-not cost)
A) put a 3/4 x 1 coupling at the meter outlet and run 1" to the manifold?
B) Run 3/4" from the meter output to the manifold, and put a 3/4 x 1 coupling into the manifold's 1" input?

Total length of meter to manifold is maybe 25' or so. So in A above I'd have 25' of 1", and in B I'd have 25' of 3/4".

But in any case, the restriction is at the meter where it is 3/4". It's city water with good pressure (not measured, though.) To me it seems like six of one, half dozen of the other.

Thanks for any help.

Garfield

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
The pressure and flow, will be a result or sum of all the pressure losses.
So if you have four sections of pipe, Section A, B, C, D
The loss will be the sum of those, If you replace a section of 3/4" line with 1" line then the resultant loss will be lower and you will have slightly better water flow and pressure.
But to be honest 25 feet of straight line won't make much difference.
If you are going to have to use an adaptor then make it at the meter. Can't hurt.
Michael
SacCityPlumbing.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks