Air Handler Access

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I have central air in my new home (new to me but old in age). I noticed the air handler requires what looks like a key which I do not have. Is there a standard key for this or is this not a key and some sort of tool?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No idea, but it's hard to tell without some brand and maybe model info...we can't see it to tell! Most that I've seen only require a wrench or screwdriver to open.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Jim -

Obviously, this is my first time opening this. I was prompted to open it because of a musty smell that I get from some of the registers. The evaporator coils are rusty. Is this something I should be concerned about? The unit ran fine all season last summer. I have not turned it on yet this year.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The coils themselves are probably copper, the support framework might be something that can rust. Ideally, they'd use metals that can't rust since the evaporator coil generally is wet while running. A good cleaning may get rid of the musty smell. You want to ensure that the drain is clear as well. If you aren't careful, though, you can bend the fins and decrease the efficiency of the unit.

How old is the coil? If you can post a picture, the pros may have some suggestions.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Here are some pics. I also found instructions in side the unit, VDX/VHE Series Fan Coil Unit?

Attachments

• IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 330

Jadnashua

Reaction score
First thing noticed is that it could use a good cleaning! Other than that, see what the pros have to say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks