Eroded hole in older sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic Teaspoon

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a house and the list of things to fix is endless. It is a 203k loan, so every little thing has to be documented by a contractor (had one quote $50 for installing smoke alarms). :mad:

Anyway, the main bathroom has an older (house built in 79) sink with a hole eroded right near the drain, less than a half inch in diameter. Is there a legitimate fix that would patch that hole and satisfy building code? I'd much rather be able to do a temporary repair now and come back to replacing the sink, reinstalling fixtures, and retiling the countertop at a later date. Is there a feasible way to do this?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You'd be better off getting an inexpensive or used sink and throwing it in there. I see people giving them away all the time after they remodel.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here a nice sink that was thrown away. It was rusting out from below and rusted above.

lav_rusted_bottom.jpg

lav_rusted_top.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even a brand new steel sink is not expensive and would work for you just fine for as long as necessary. It's when your start getting in to cast iron and upper level fixtures that the money gets serious.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is a 203k loan, so every little thing has to be documented by a contractor (had one quote $50 for installing smoke alarms). :mad:

You consider that to be a bad price for someone to purchase a smoke detector, drive to your home, install the smoke detector, using tools they own and maintain, then drive home or, back to their shop again?

I wouldn't do it at that price... I'm thinking 3 - 4 times that amount before I would barely consider it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks