(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: sandy well water has toilets blocked... but a couple of different symptoms

Hybrid View

Default sandy well water has toilets blocked... but a couple of different symptoms

I recently had the foot valve changed on my shallow water well... as usual, it blew a bunch of sand on restart. we let it run for five or ten minutes to blow most of the sand out, but still got a lot in the house plumbing.

all three toilets are out. two will flush if you fill the reservoir with water... the fill hose seems to be running fine, but the reservoirs wont fill. i noticed the filler tube isn't running any water... i'm suspecting sand in the valve. it's a plastic setup, so would the easiest thing be to just replace the whole filler valve and float?

the third toilet won't hold water at all. the filler tube is pouring water, but there's no fill. even if i pour enough water into the reservoir to flood the siphon, it just all drains. any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

In regards, to the 2 toilets with the bad fill valves, it would be easier to replace both fill valves. The third, not working toilet, replace the flapper and make sure the chain is adjusted properly and see, what happens.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Somtimes you can clean out the fill valves by removing the top, (water off first) and flushing them out.

If that doesn't work, (what have you got to lose) you can pick up some new ones. If you do, remember to pick up some new supply lines and a new flapper while you are at it.