PVC Primer and cement question

Users who are viewing this thread

Walkman

Reaction score
How much time between applying primer and cement is acceptable?

Should cement be applied to pipe AND fitting or is one of them only okay?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
All surfaces should be lightly coated. There is no waiting. First prime the section your are joining and then cement it.

I cement the pipe, then the fitting, and then hit the pipe lightly one more time before joining.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a PVC joint is actually a solvent welded joint...the materials melt and when the solvent evaporates, they literally become one. The primer does several things: cleans any contaminats from the surface and starts to melt the surface and prepares it to be further disolved by the cement. The cement, by itself, may not penetrate the surface layer to make a good joint without the primer getting it started.

So, yes, you do need both the primer and the cement to make a good joint. In many places, the inspectors look for the characteristic purple color of the primer or they'll fail the installation. They do make clear primer, but it's not good in areas where the inspector is looking for the purple stain! (it is a lot neater, as a drip doesn't stain things, though).

Walkman

Reaction score
I've read different things about whether the primer should be wet or dry. So I was wondering if I could apply primer to several joints at a time to speed things up and then cement them 5-20 minutes later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks