(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Can you put a water heater next to a dryer?

Default Can you put a water heater next to a dryer?

I have a house I'm working on and it needs a new water heater, the old gas one was about 28 years old. Never tried to use it but figured it was time to replace it.

One concern I have is that I've read you aren't supposed to put a gas water heater near an air moving device, or something to that effect. Things like dryers and what not. I guess the idea is that the dryer creates sort of a vacuum that pulls air out of the house, which could cause problems with the pilot on the water heater staying lit.

Now I'm not aware of any previous problems with the water heater being next to the dryer, but I can't say anything for certain one way or another. I know it sits a foot or two away from the dryer, along with a washing machine in an enclosed laundry room. (Enclosed meaning those vented bi-fold type doors).

TIA

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There are rules on how much air louver area you need based on how many BTU the heating devices utilize. My guess is that if you can supply that amount of makeup air, you should be okay. But, when both are on, that amount of air is substantial. Have you considered a way to let it get air from outside verses pulling it through cracks in the house? All that air that goes out requires air coming in, and you pay to condition it: cooling in the summer and heating in the winter...much more efficient letting it pull it from outside on its own, dedicated path.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Honestly I've just been thinking of going with an electric one instead. It's a rental and it just seems overall to be a simpler installation, operation, etc, but I do have to run a new line for it.

An newer FVIR gas water heater install next to a dryer can be problematic...

The lint will clog the air inlet screen/flame arrester...