Swimming pool Heater..i.e. Heat pump query

Users who are viewing this thread

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
Hi all...

To all the people who are familiar with Swimming pool heater/cooler...

We have a Swimming pool heater..which works on refrigeration principle have R22 as refrigerant...

The problem we are facing is earlier we had installed a 15 ton unit at a site.. and it was working perfectly heating and cooling the pool water....Now due to some reason the unit was kept OFF and when we went to the site and did the re-commissioning, the unit started but was not effective..

The main parts of our Pool heater are as

Flow switch
Compressors
Heat exchangers(Shells and coils)
expansion valve
evaporator fins and tubes
Low pressure switch
High pressure switch
Accumulator

The water pressure is fine and can activate the Flow switch...The standard reading for our compressor are as 65 for suction and nearly 300 for discharge... Now the readings are 40 at suction and 250 at discharge....

Thinking that Pool Heater needs refrigerant we added to it(nearly two cylinders)... but the issue is that the addition of the R22 doesn't affect any readings i.e. suction or discharge... and there is an ice formation on the walls of the compressor...and accumulator.

Since this is a 15 ton unit we have two compressors in it. Addition of a gas to one compressor as mentioned above has no effect and other compressor is cutoff after working intially for some time...

Please suggest some solution...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To determine what is going on in a heat pump system, you first need to determing your subcooling number. 250 PSI correlates to about 117º. Now MEASURE the temp of the liquid line, and the difference is subcooling. A spec chart for your unit should tell you. I don't know the number for 15 ton units.

Freezing can indicate undercharged, but also can indicate a restriction.

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
@Jimbo

Thanks for the information....

Freezing is only when we tried to fill the refrigerant..and by the way I forgot to inform u that when we tried to fill the refrigerant the heat pump was on cooling mode.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks